Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "People pity in others what they fear in themselves"

Why not run for office, Curt? Seriously - if you want to make change?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I think many, many guys in wheelchairs should go look at the new Mercedes in that very dealership. at least that snootie dood would see his ignorance, and it would be fun filming his reaction as he runs to apprehend one wheelie when suddenly another wheels in, and another, and then another. he'll be busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

Oh my gawd, I'm laughing so hard right now, that would be funny if 500 or so of us converged upon the Benz dealer in wheelchairs, haha. Get some cameras covering it, it would be purfect, lol.

Anyhow, thanks for the good words everyone, I think maybe I could hire Nikki as my editor, she writes beautifully. If I did the book, I'd like to try and just keep it a real positive experience for the readers which I know could be a challenge for me doing because sometimes I do tend to be negitive so I probabley would need some help or at the very least a proof reader to bounce ideas off.

Lynnifer, I had actually thought about doing something with Politics a while back, I loved going to DC those times we had the rallies there and it was kind of cool meeting all those politicians. One guy I really like is Lincoln Chaffee who is now the Governor of Rhode Island but at the time was a Senator. I felt he really listened to our cause and really wanted to help and he also was good friends with Rep Langevin so he understood things well with the need for better research funding. I actually Sailed with his Nephew last summer who is around 20 years old, he was a crew member on my boat for Weds night racing here in Newport R.I. I just don't know if I have the energy it takes to be a politician and I don't know if I really want to be in the limelight all that much.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Well I couldn't be .. for all the shit I've written here ... lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

I think you're miss understanding the situation of the dealership. Their afraid you might scratch the paint on one of those cars. And that could be very costly to the dealership. They don't know how the chair works around the car.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I think you're miss understanding the situation of the dealership. Their afraid you might scratch the paint on one of those cars. And that could be very costly to the dealership. They don't know how the chair works around the car.
    Oh come on!

There is certainly some truth to that quote and has been suggested, we are not treated well in the Bible. I think the book would be neat. If you go to a publisher and they want to publish it they will provide the editorial support. In fact they would likely insist on editing it because you are not a "Stephen King." (yet) However, if you publish it yourself you will need someone to proof and edit it.

I have to shoot down your Mercedes dealer theory. I got the same treatment from a Chevy dealer when I went to buy my first van. It was so obvious that my wife, who was with me, noticed as they scooted away. I ended up buying a Ford. Maybe their standards are lower or they were really hurting for business. Lol On a serious side, we have African-American friends who complain about that sort of thing.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have a difficult time at any car dealership .. 1) I'm female. 2) I'm in a wheelchair and no one wants to be bothered with the logistics of that.

I actually have to bring a co-worker or brother along to get any attention. I once sat outside at the Honda dealership for 45mins in the hot sun. I went inside and spent another 30mins waiting while people sat at their desks and tried to avoid me. I really wanted a Honda. I didn't end up with one!

I'd honestly call the manager of that dealership and tell him how offended you were ... if not, he'll do it again to someone else.

There are a couple of tricks to ensuring that a dealership will take you seriously.

The simplest is to avoid just walking in; make an appointment, preferably through the manager. Do this in an email. Even better, have your bank make the appointment for you. It's surprisingly easy to get a customer service agent from your bank to do this for you (because it most likely means you are arranging the loan through the bank beforehand) and dealers really pay attention to banks.

If there is a particular sales person you want, request them and mention why, the name of the person who recommended them, or that you go to the same church, whatever. Mention that you have been pre-approved for a loan, or, if paying cash, bring a letter from your bank indicating that you will have no problem purchasing from them. Ask in the email that they familiarize themselves with any adaptive modifications their company provides.

Since the salesperson is directly assigned to you by the manager, they know they will have to give a good account of their behavior at the end of the day. They are not going to be able to blow you off as some casual window-shopper who wasn't really interested.

While you are examining different cars, don't let the salesperson discuss any of the purchase details. Selecting a vehicle and purchasing it are two completely different things. You may have to be quite firm in cutting off a sales pitch; the sales staff are intensively trained to push all the details in order to take advantage of your emotional reaction to the car.

Specifically, while looking at different cars, do not allow the salesperson to discuss any of the following:
    •price
    •rebates
    •tax incentives
    •trade in
    •specials, discounts, or promotions
    All of these are things to talk about after you have decided that you want to purchase a particular car. If your salesperson will not respect your desire not to bring money into the discussion yet, ask for the manager again and ask for a different salesperson since the first is clearly not listening to you. The second will be very careful about respecting your wishes.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

just my opinion. ppl will treat you how you ALLOW them to buddy.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer