Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "People pity in others what they fear in themselves"

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    just my opinion. ppl will treat you how you ALLOW them to buddy.
    I agree. However, I also realize that the things you sometimes have to do to get your propers can also be a bad trade-off. Is it better to be hated or pitied? Is there really much of a difference?

As regards sales people, the customer always has the power. There are very few things sold that don't have a substitute or an alternate source.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    just my opinion. ppl will treat you how you ALLOW them to buddy.
    Completely true. This has been the single most important thing I have learned post-injury. Find a way to make others see you instead the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    ... Is it better to be hated or pitied? Is there really much of a difference?
    I believe so, respect. I could care less what some dick salesperson thinks about me personally, they are only out to profit off everyone anyway.

Curt - I always web-shop prior to actually going in person. I have noticed most auto manufacturer websites have a "Book a test drive" feature. I just checked the MB site and sure enough they do too. The form even asks what you are currently driving. I'm sure your Caddy would get their attention. Then when you show up for the appointment they'd have no choice but to take you for a spin.

Whenever I end up back at the dealership for service I'll stroll through the showroom. The trick is (with anyone) is to get them talking if they are stand-off'ish about the chair. Once they see you are not mentally handicapped it gets a lot easier. I always try to chat with the youngest salespeople because they are usually most eager to deal.. I've had them place a floor mat between the car and my chair to avoid scratching a new vehicle when transferring in. And I have never actually been serious about buying a new car, just killing time. Maybe it's people like me who wreck it for people who are actually there to buy.... now I want to go to Mercedes here in Canada just to see how I'm treated.

Don't let the assholes take up space in your head, Curt. They have the problem, not you.
    Keep smiling bro.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I didnt mean for this thread to focused so much about the car dealer experience because that does not really bother me that much, I was just using that as a example of one of many things I've seen where I was discriminated against. I think as was said some of the issue with the dealer was the logistics of me being in a chair. Also, ya, if I'd been driving my Cadillac they may have taken me a lot more serious, I was thinking that they may have thought I was one of the many dreamers who comes into their dealership dreaming about a $108,000.00 550 horsepower car. I actually have found a used one online and am just now debating on whether to pick up the phone and see if the dealer can do my Caddy plus 25K towards a AMG Wagon, it's a 2012 with 11K miles on it. The Benz is a far better wheelchair car than the CTS-V, it is kind of tight and not very roomy inside. The Benz is more comfortable, better on gas and even faster. What does have me questioning whether I want to make this phone call though is the Benz is more service intensive and once out of warrantee could cost a fortune to maintain, so I'm a a little unsure about this whole idea. It sure would be nice though though if I got the Benz to go back to the Mercedes dealer who treated me badly and pull up in front with the car, wheel in and ask for the manager and bring him out to show him the car and tell him this is the car you guys could have sold me, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Don't let the assholes take up space in your head, Curt. They have the problem, not you.
    Keep smiling bro.
    Thanks Bobby.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Tooly, that's kinda what I started doing a lot of, finding these cars is like finding a needle in the haystack, they are very rare the model I want. Ya, though you should go into a Benz dealer and see if you get the same treatment I did, I'd be curious to know. I think the next Ferrarri or Masserati dealer I pass by I'm going to stop in and see if the same thing happens, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Completely true. This has been the single most important thing I have learned post-injury. Find a way to make others see you instead the chair.

I believe so, respect. I could care less what some dick salesperson thinks about me personally, they are only out to profit off everyone anyway.

Curt - I always web-shop prior to actually going in person. I have noticed most auto manufacturer websites have a "Book a test drive" feature. I just checked the MB site and sure enough they do too. The form even asks what you are currently driving. I'm sure your Caddy would get their attention. Then when you show up for the appointment they'd have no choice but to take you for a spin.

Whenever I end up back at the dealership for service I'll stroll through the showroom. The trick is (with anyone) is to get them talking if they are stand-off'ish about the chair. Once they see you are not mentally handicapped it gets a lot easier. I always try to chat with the youngest salespeople because they are usually most eager to deal.. I've had them place a floor mat between the car and my chair to avoid scratching a new vehicle when transferring in. And I have never actually been serious about buying a new car, just killing time. Maybe it's people like me who wreck it for people who are actually there to buy.... now I want to go to Mercedes here in Canada just to see how I'm treated.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I didnt mean for this thread to focused so much about the car dealer experience because that does not really bother me that much, I was just using that as a example of one of many things I've seen where I was discriminated against.
    Imagine instead if you had arrived at the car dealer not to buy a car but to apply for a sales position.

OMG, I woulda been shown the door even quicker, lol. I think that's one reason a lot of the time disabled people go to work for other disabled people. That's one reason I always advocate persons with disability consider self employment, even then though you can run into discrimination from the customers. It did'nt happen much when I had my gas stations but occassionally I'd have people question me saying "why would they hire a guy like you as the manager of this place"? My answer, because "I'm the owner and can dictate what I do, now get the F out of here".
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, I just had to post this

Funny thing is, for what I pay for my van conversion, I could afford a Benz!

Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
    My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
    Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends.
    So oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post

I've been in sales all my life including cars. And you are a nightmare to a salesperson. Your not only wasting his time, but your costing him his income. It might be funny to you, but you're taking money out of his and his families mouth.