Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "People pity in others what they fear in themselves"

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    This thread really veered off the road.
    LOL - I guffawed loudly at this one.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

All this eurocar talk got me thinking...what's the typical sales routine on these? I know American cars are invoice or 'partner' style pricing and applicable rebates. But how does this translate in something like Merc or BMW sales? Or does everyone usually just rent the thing on a bend-over lease while keeping up with the Joneses? I think I read somewhere that 75% of BMW's are leased, but I'm a cash and carry kind of guy. I'd be real interested on how the high-class folks buy their status symbols, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    All this eurocar talk got me thinking...what's the typical sales routine on these? I know American cars are invoice or 'partner' style pricing and applicable rebates. But how does this translate in something like Merc or BMW sales? Or does everyone usually just rent the thing on a bend-over lease while keeping up with the Joneses? I think I read somewhere that 75% of BMW's are leased, but I'm a cash and carry kind of guy. I'd be real interested on how the high-class folks buy their status symbols, lol
    You can find out the profit spread on these cars with a little research. I'm an American car guy but acquired a little 2006 Mercedes C230 along the way. It still looks and drives like new with 70,000 miles. It's a really good car and was well worth the money. I now can see why people buy these cars.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

My wife is driving a 2002 E class that shows no signs of not being a great car for us for another 10 years. A better car than most, in my experience. My brief love affair with an SL-55 came to an abrupt end with brake issues, though, so I'm kind of torn. I'm more of a Honda guy, these days. Nothing screams "I've got nothing left to prove." like a dull silver mini-van. Odyssey, ftw!

OT: CG Jung had quite a bit to say about the self-reflective nature of one's fears. Wrote volumes on the very subject! Worth a perusal, for those interested.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

So I take it you still dicker on these things like American stuff?

FWIW, I was shopping BMW's...and didn't like how they nickel and dime you to death to get something equipped as standard on a Honda. Then I perused Mercedes...was thinking a nice C series coupe. But after optioning that out...it would be rather similarly priced to an E series...made more sense to get that E series. In the end I got a Dodge (shudder), lol. But I like it, saved a ton o' cash...and Daimler was in charge when that was parts-bin engineered, so close enough

I have found most of the wealthier people pay cash or finance. Believe it or not, the dealership makes more money if you lease the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I have found most of the wealthier people pay cash or finance. Believe it or not, the dealership makes more money if you lease the vehicle.
    Yup, I can see that. "What are you willing to pay a month? Up To?" lol. Yeah I read confessions of a car salesman. I really don't get leases...you spend the money and in the end you have nothing. I can see the 'get me done' aspect of that, but dayummm.

Yup, I can see that. "What are you willing to pay a month? Up To?" lol. Yeah I read confessions of a car salesman. I really don't get leases...you spend the money and in the end you have nothing. I can see the 'get me done' aspect of that, but dayummm.
    You wouldn't believe the number of people who have leased a car then go to purchase insurance and fine its as much as the lease per month.

Ya, this thread did take a turn, my fault, lol. I figure it this way though, I dunno if things will ever change for certain people and their perception of us and they are the ones who really need to read a book like the one I proposed and more than likely they would be completely resistant to ever want to pick up such a book. No doubt a lot of us would read the book and it would help understanding of things so maybe it's not such a crazy idea, especially for newbie injuries trying to understand things and why people are starring at them and what not.

But getting back to the car, I feel the Benz long term will hold it's value better than the caddy, plus the colors are a lot better for Florida where it's hot, the Caddy is black on black and a very hot car in the hot weather. The Benz has a lot more features and better technology, dollar for dollar if you just talking money the Caddy CTS-V is a performance bargain that cannot be beat. But for me it just was not very comfortable and a little harder getting in and out than I'd like it to be. The first couple years the benz takes a far bigger hit in value than the caddy, there is a huge demand for the used CTS-V's and that helps keep the price up so that's one reason this deal made sense. This will be the first Benz I've ever had, I've mostly just driven American cars, I do know parts are a lot more for the german cars, but it's still got 3 years left on the warrantee so I don't have to worry about repair expenses for a while.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

So I take it you still dicker on these things like American stuff?

FWIW, I was shopping BMW's...and didn't like how they nickel and dime you to death to get something equipped as standard on a Honda. Then I perused Mercedes...was thinking a nice C series coupe. But after optioning that out...it would be rather similarly priced to an E series...made more sense to get that E series. In the end I got a Dodge (shudder), lol. But I like it, saved a ton o' cash...and Daimler was in charge when that was parts-bin engineered, so close enough
    As far as I know, you dicker.

I gave the Mercedes to my daughter. It's the perfect car for her and pretty safe. My everyday vehicles are a Chevy 1 ton truck and a Dodge 3/4 ton truck, which is 10 years old and has 124,000 miles on it and still purrs like a big Cat. In fact, I'm selling the big Chevy truck (far newer and nicer than the Dodge) because I don't really need two trucks....Dodge wins!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.