Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flying with a ZX-1 and/or Firefly

glad all worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Just to update you on our latest international flight:
    - SmartDrive MX2+ was allowed on the flight (as hand baggage). Due to the higher wattage of the MX-1 version, it would NOT have been allowed on our airline (Emirates).
    - we arranged for a new lithium e-bike battery to be sent to our UK holiday address. It arrived in time (from Europe), and interestingly was couriered by DHL, so John/Fuente’s suggestion to contact DHL and get your ZX-1 batteries sent separately seems to be a good idea. I can’t think of any other way to get your batteries transported unfortunately....
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

This might be my first post, though I?ve got a lot of great info from this forum.

I'm a resident of New Zealand, but currently sitting outside having a glass of beer in the unusually warm summer weather of the Scottish town I grew up in.

I flew last week with my SmartDrive MX2 on Air New Zealand to San Fran and then a day later to London on Virgin Atlantic, in both cases the unit was in the cabin in the MaxMobility bag along with its charger and wristband. All we had to do was show the IATA paper from MaxMobility, and Virgin in San Fran even said ?if it was approved for the last leg then it must be OK?.

in a couple of weeks we?re flying Air Canada to Vancouver and then Air NZ back to Auckland. Air Canada has been briefed and have indicated they are happy also.

The reason I found this thread is that I am going to demo a Firefly in the morning and if it passes muster then I need to look into how I get it home. Buying without a battery and getting an eBike battery in NZ looks the most realistic, but at least that is manageable. I really wanted to try a Batec Rapid which comes with a custom battery, but there's no way I can get one before I fly home.

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    This might be my first post, though I?ve got a lot of great info from this forum.

I'm a resident of New Zealand, but currently sitting outside having a glass of beer in the unusually warm summer weather of the Scottish town I grew up in.

The reason I found this thread is that I am going to demo a Firefly in the morning and if it passes muster then I need to look into how I get it home. Buying without a battery and getting an eBike battery in NZ looks the most realistic, but at least that is manageable. I really wanted to try a Batec Rapid which comes with a custom battery, but there's no way I can get one before I fly home.
    Welcome! Which Scottish town are you from (I’m from Edinburgh, but also have Aussie citizenship)? And what beer was it?!?

Unless you need to use the Firefly as soon as yet get back to NZ, the best way to get the Firefly there is to order it from RioMobility’s website. They ship the whole thing (including battery) for a very reasonable price ($195) and (from memory) the delivery time was very good. I suspect that the price you would pay for the Firefly excluding battery, plus the cost of a new battery in NZ, would exceed the cost from Rio plus shipping.....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Welcome! Which Scottish town are you from (I’m from Edinburgh, but also have Aussie citizenship)? And what beer was it?!?

Unless you need to use the Firefly as soon as yet get back to NZ, the best way to get the Firefly there is to order it from RioMobility’s website. They ship the whole thing (including battery) for a very reasonable price ($195) and (from memory) the delivery time was very good. I suspect that the price you would pay for the Firefly excluding battery, plus the cost of a new battery in NZ, would exceed the cost from Rio plus shipping.....
    Thanks for the welcome.

The Scottish town is Montrose where I grew up, though we were in Edinburgh yesterday as it happens. It still remains my favourite Scottish location and my wife had never been there. The beer was an Italian called Menabrea that I hadn’t seen before. Not really my preferred thing but ok on a sunny afternoon. Living in Wellington I have of course become a craft beer (and coffee) snob.

By the time I saw your advice it was a little late, but doing the back calculation I think I'm something over 200 pounds ahead of the direct shipping price though without the battery (my Firefly is in the boot of the car, sealed in a box and the VAT will be reclaimed at Heathrow). In addition I know that I’m up for 15% GST at the NZ border, whereas I have had bad experience with importing higher value items with additional clearing fees.

Hopefully with around $450NZ to play with I can get a battery and still not be on the wrong side of the deal. I also got to demo the unit this way, and I’d have felt bad doing that and then buying direct rather than through the agent who laid on the demo.

How easy was it to find a compatible battery? I’m hoping I might even get a capacity upgrade and more weight over the wheel out of it.

The Scottish town is Montrose where I grew up, though we were in Edinburgh yesterday as it happens. It still remains my favourite Scottish location and my wife had never been there. The beer was an Italian called Menabrea that I hadn?t seen before. Not really my preferred thing but ok on a sunny afternoon. Living in Wellington I have of course become a craft beer (and coffee) snob.

By the time I saw your advice it was a little late, but doing the back calculation I think I'm something over 200 pounds ahead of the direct shipping price though without the battery (my Firefly is in the boot of the car, sealed in a box and the VAT will be reclaimed at Heathrow). In addition I know that I?m up for 15% GST at the NZ border, whereas I have had bad experience with importing higher value items with additional clearing fees.

Hopefully with around $450NZ to play with I can get a battery and still not be on the wrong side of the deal. I also got to demo the unit this way, and I?d have felt bad doing that and then buying direct rather than through the agent who laid on the demo.

How easy was it to find a compatible battery? I?m hoping I might even get a capacity upgrade and more weight over the wheel out of it.
    Aha, Montrose, one of those places (along with Arbroath) that the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen passes through! (I used to study and work in Aberdeen).

Yes, not sure about your beer choice, but I agree that NZ has some good stuff, even before craft beer took off. Thankfully Australia is catching up, albeit slowly....

When you get to the NZ airport, just make sure that the package is clearly labelled as disability equipment, which removes any duty payable. I’m not sure that it will get you out of GST payment, but it’s worth trying it on! Also, I don’t know what the NZ GST value declaration threshold is, but perhaps you could argue that the value of the Firefly (less battery) is beneath that threshold? (And what do they do if you can’t produce a receipt?)

Regarding battery compatibility, I may just have been very lucky, but we hired a battery from an e-bike hire place just outside Edinburgh, and it just slid into place perfectly. And the 2 other batteries that I’ve purchased for various reasons have also fitted easily. Just make sure you get one that slides onto a bracket that looks similar to the Firefly one. When purchasing, I’ve resorted to buying online, as I can’t find any reasonably priced ones locally. Whilst I haven’t purchased one from China, primarily because I’m not sure how they now transport them, and I’ve wanted them quickly, I wouldn’t have a problem doing so at some stage.

I found a Firefly dealer just outside Edinburgh (Loanhead area I think) when we were there in April, and I was looking for spares for my son’s FreeWheel. Tried to persuade them to start hiring them out, to save us dragging such things around the world...don’t think they were too keen unfortunately....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Aha, Montrose, one of those places (along with Arbroath) that the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen passes through! (I used to study and work in Aberdeen).

Yes, not sure about your beer choice, but I agree that NZ has some good stuff, even before craft beer took off. Thankfully Australia is catching up, albeit slowly....

When you get to the NZ airport, just make sure that the package is clearly labelled as disability equipment, which removes any duty payable. I’m not sure that it will get you out of GST payment, but it’s worth trying it on! Also, I don’t know what the NZ GST value declaration threshold is, but perhaps you could argue that the value of the Firefly (less battery) is beneath that threshold? (And what do they do if you can’t produce a receipt?)

Regarding battery compatibility, I may just have been very lucky, but we hired a battery from an e-bike hire place just outside Edinburgh, and it just slid into place perfectly. And the 2 other batteries that I’ve purchased for various reasons have also fitted easily. Just make sure you get one that slides onto a bracket that looks similar to the Firefly one. When purchasing, I’ve resorted to buying online, as I can’t find any reasonably priced ones locally. Whilst I haven’t purchased one from China, primarily because I’m not sure how they now transport them, and I’ve wanted them quickly, I wouldn’t have a problem doing so at some stage.

I found a Firefly dealer just outside Edinburgh (Loanhead area I think) when we were there in April, and I was looking for spares for my son’s FreeWheel. Tried to persuade them to start hiring them out, to save us dragging such things around the world...don’t think they were too keen unfortunately....
    The Loanhead dealer has a spare battery they could hire out as of yesterday

I'd like to buy a battery online so it’s there when I get home, but I also need to know it fits. Based on your experience I'm more confident to look for a 36v one that looks similar. Did you match the length, or does a longer one that is designed to slid onto the rod fit?
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.

The Loanhead dealer has a spare battery they could hire out as of yesterday

I'd like to buy a battery online so it?s there when I get home, but I also need to know it fits. Based on your experience I'm more confident to look for a 36v one that looks similar. Did you match the length, or does a longer one that is designed to slid onto the rod fit?
    My experience is based on the earlier Firefly model, which had a 24V battery. But the length of 36v batteries seems to be pretty much the same as that of the 24v...it’s the depth of the battery that increases. Does your battery connection have 4 metal tabs? If so, just check that the online one has the same (I suspect that they all do).

(BTW apologies if you read this response before I edited it...I thought the new Firefly version still used a 24V battery, but I see from the website that it’s now 36V)

I had a good chat with one of the ladies in that shop...told her I was going to get my son up the Pentland Hills that day...she looked at me as if I was mad, but we did it!
    Last edited by Gordy1; 07-26-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: I was talking bollocks...hopefully I’ve sorted it now!

My experience is based on the earlier Firefly model, which had a 24V battery. But the length of 36v batteries seems to be pretty much the same as that of the 24v...it?s the depth of the battery that increases. Does your battery connection have 4 metal tabs? If so, just check that the online one has the same (I suspect that they all do).

(BTW apologies if you read this response before I edited it...I thought the new Firefly version still used a 24V battery, but I see from the website that it?s now 36V)

I had a good chat with one of the ladies in that shop...told her I was going to get my son up the Pentland Hills that day...she looked at me as if I was mad, but we did it!
    No worries, I didn?t see the post before the edit.

The battery for mine is indeed 36v. It has a couple of round contacts marked + and - and there?s a round socket with a centre pin for charging on the side. The included battery is something like 6.8Ah, but I?m hoping I can get closer to 10Ah to fit. That wouldn?t be allowed on aircraft, but I expect I?d take the SmartDrive in preference and both would never be allowed.

Worst case I?ll get a battery and carrier to match as it?s only a case or wiring in two cables. That will still be cheaper than paying the premium for the official battery.
    Last edited by Fen; 07-27-2018 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo that made the meaning hard to follow
    T2 complete since late 2016. Apparently I wasn?t as good at mountain biking as I thought

I apologise that when I type an apostrophe it appears as a question mark. I post using an iPad and this is the only forum it happens on. I will fix it if I figure out how.