Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EZ Lock pros and cons

If you need any tie down straps let me know, I have plenty to spare even though I will keep a just in case set. I looked into getting a ez-lock put on Jim's manual years ago, but he was never interested in using a manual so I dropped it. we have a gran caravan with rear entry and no air bag lift. It's wonderful not to have any mechanical worries with a slide out ramp or lift. But the trade off is he can only be in the rear. But parking is easier. always a trade-off. It' great for hauling....from Christmas trees to grills and gets good gas mileage. I have, on occasion used a simple 2x4 (or 1x4) set in front of threshold in temporary situations with good results.

Sue, I am going to check into if the VA would cover the change. Not sure who I'd talk to.
    If I am understanding the system could be put in after the original conversion?
    I've been wearing a hard shell back brace several hours a day for my scoliosis and i don't see things improving as I age.
    the tie downs are really kicking my ass.
    Any advice or web sites that could explain or show these systems. I've never actually seen one.
    Last edited by LindaT; 06-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Sue, I am going to check into if the VA would cover the change. Not sure who I'd talk to.
    If I am understanding the system could be out in after the original conversion?
    I've been wearing a hard shell back brace several hours a day for my scoliosis and i don't see things improving as I age.
    Any advice or web sites that could explain or show these systems. I've never actually seen one.
    Hi Linda,
    Here is a website for EZ Lock:
    http://www.ezlock.net

This is a similar tie down system:
    http://www.aavans.com/mobility-equip...docking-system

Hope there is a way for you to add something like one these to your converted van.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Questions to those with an EZ for a non-driving spouse: I have both a manual and powerchair and we normally use the manual for travel because powerchairs often don't seem to fit under many restaurant tables and even in the US curb cuts aren't everywhere but I am willing to hit more chain restaurants and research accessible areas so we can take the powerchair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Does the EZ Lock leave scratches or other floor marks/problems in your homes? We have carpet, hardwood and pretty smooth carpet to tile in the bath and closet. Would it be better to add the lock to my manual? Opinions?
    Almost all conversions come with the tracks to use tie downs like Q'Straint Wheelchair Tie-Downs so you can still have this when you are in the manual if you don't want to add the bracket. They pop out of the track in seconds so you can remove them from the floor when you are in your powerchair. So you don't have to decide EZ lock or tie downs. You can have both.

Somewhere on this site or maybe EZ locks site I saw some chart or something similar about brack and chair pin heights. You can raise the bracket in the van higher and therefore have the pin on your chair higher to hang up less (depending on chair model specs). If the pin is installed correctly it is dead centre between your drive wheels to reduce hanging on things like thresholds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    If I am understanding the system could be put in after the original conversion?
    I have an Uplander and installed an EZ-Lock a few years after the conversion. The regular seat can still be put in over the EZ-Lock too. I do this when we are traveling far and want someone else to drive. The installation was easy. It was done in one afternoon. If I remember right the total for parts and labor was a little under 2 grand.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

OMG Novie!!! When we had an ez lock put in the lift van it was only $450.00! about 10 to twelve years ago. That was in Knoxville. The conversion-van company was owned by a a guy with a complete c5 injury who was a dream to work with. when we bought a new rear-entry van from him he threw in an ez lock and installed it! The weird thing was he drove with no lock down at all from his Permobil by choice, made me a little nervous when riding with him.