Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Segway Wheelchair - SegChair

Building a Segway Wheelchair - SegChair

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this stuff just made my account today. Anyway ive been looking into these Segway wheelchairs for a long time and decided make the big leap of faith and attempt to build my own. I was a Union Iron Worker be for my accident so i know how to work the metal. The company i was foreman for gave me a huge opportunity to grow within the company and hired me as a estimator. the also own a painting company and a steel fabrication shop. so we have a unlimited supply of metals and machines to make my ideas come to life!!
    So Lets get started with this thing eh? I bought a Segway I2 off Ebay 2 weeks ago for $3,600 and came with brand new batteries for a extra 250. So im into it for 3850 now. Batteries are the main thing you need to be careful with these things. esp. since the run about 12-1400 bucks!!
    as far as the seat, i was going to build it out of a wheelchair. Then since we have a tube bender i was going to build my own chair.. now my ideas have shifted one more. my final choice was to make it out of a Boat seat! There small, low back and it has a professional look to it.
    After i bought the Segway i started to have regrets because that was a Shit load of money and i could have put it to better use. The Pros out weighed the Cons. But spending that money on it made me want to make it the best i can. Who knows it might turn into something!

there was a guy at the abilities expo showing off his segway chair, i think he was selling them to-order at $10k. good luck on your project! segway chairs are pretty neat and capable, so it's always good to see more ideas and innovators in the area.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

Wow, at 3,600 I'm glad I did not see it and get tempted. I'm sure you've seen the youtubes of people with ordinary chairs mounted on them. There are just a few obstacles to overcome and you have a winner. Of course scoring the Segway is the first one.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've used kart seats in the past to make canting seats for racing sailboats. Lightweight and available cheap but not a lot in the way of seat depth. PVC, fibreglass, cf.. Tillett brand. But depending on how much money you want to spend, the easiest of all might be to get a standard colours spazz-g for $1000 from bike-on.com and adapt it to fit the Segway. Or eBay. Or make something similar from scratch.

I picked the boat seat up for $100 which aint nothing. My biggest hertel
    I’m facing at the moment is that I’m trying to incorporate a suspension seat into the design. One for resale so I can get my money back out of it if and when I choose to sell it. Two it would look a whole lot cooler with a air shock on it! Lol But it has become a lot harder that I thought. At the moment I’m looking for a engineer to make my idea mechanically function correctly.

How do you put pictures on here?

Use the [img] tag or drag and drop works sometimes. Can't wait to see photos!

[img]http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/images/statusicon/forum_new.gif[/img]

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

C:\Documents and Settings\tomp\Desktop\M\Seg Chair\helm-seat-for-offshore-power-boat-32954-187427.jpg

i did the drag the pic then it covered the hole page then i just copied the URL so i doubt this will work but lets see!

this is the concept i am trying to incorporate in my design

In the upper left corner, press Home, then look under Forums, look don't press. You will see "resize photo". Try that too. I could not get it to work last night when I wanted to post my remodeled wheelchair, but you may have better luck.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You can also attach images when you select "Post Reply" on the bottom left. Don't use the "Quick Reply" because you don't have the option.

Look on the bottom and you will see the following where you can browse and upload files:

Attach Files
    Valid file extensions: asf bmp doc docx gif gz jpe jpeg jpg m4a mp3 pdf png pps psd txt xls zip
    Manage Attachments
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).