Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vibration plate

  1. #11
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    Sometimes the only way to know if things work is to try them for yourself.

    Heh, I guess. But it's gotta make sense too.

    NW-Will if you could find out if they (NASA) actually used them for the claimed purpose, or they are looking into it as the article claims.

    On that note, I emailed NASA about an idea to keep astronauts healthy in space...it involves a bag of my cat's litter box contents hanging around the astronaut's neck. I got a form letter back from them stating that they would look into my concept and thanks for the input. Looks like my bag o' cat shit technology is taking off...NASA's involved! . Now to see what else I can apply it to....

  2. #12
    Senior Member NW-Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Heh, I guess. But it's gotta make sense too.

    NW-Will if you could find out if they (NASA) actually used them for the claimed purpose, or they are looking into it as the article claims.

    On that note, I emailed NASA about an idea to keep astronauts healthy in space...it involves a bag of my cat's litter box contents hanging around the astronaut's neck. I got a form letter back from them stating that they would look into my concept and thanks for the input. Looks like my bag o' cat shit technology is taking off...NASA's involved! . Now to see what else I can apply it to....
    http://science1.nasa.gov/science-new...01/ast02nov_1/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_body_vibration

  3. #13
    Suspended Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    9,722
    Now that's some interesting stuff. At least as far as bone density goes. Reading some of that kinda had me wondering though, I had a bone density test a couple years ago and the doc said my bones were just fine, actually kind of great. He remarked that basically you either have good bones or you don't, the SCI doesn't affect that too much. I likened it to good genes, and using my standing frame every day, if just for a minute or two to get my pants on right.

    Now vibration stimulating bone growth...interesting. And how much do we need it...or don't? Confusing how there are two sides to this issue in my experiences.

    Ok, hammerdrill attached to my stander's footplates...check

    I'm still doubtful on the weight loss benefits claimed in the article I picked apart though

  4. #14
    Senior Member Jeff B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,402
    My bone density Dr. said they were doing some trials with vibration plates. Two things to take into consideration:

    The vibration has to be the right frequency (you will need to look this up);

    There is a chance if you have hardware in your neck or back because of your break it could be vibrated loose. I think she said this was a small chance but it is a reason to clear this with a Dr before trying it out.

  5. #15
    i would definitely get an "expert" opinion, or several, if you want to consider it as a serious method for maintaining tone/bone density. my experience skateboarding would tell me that the sensation would be similar to rolling over rough pavement, which over time definitely strengthened my feet and ankles. you definitely need to have your weight over it.

    i'm just not sure how effective it would be if you cannot move your legs. the reason vibrations against your feet work for able-bodied people is because the contractions are a reaction.

    ultimately:

    Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    Sometimes the only way to know if things work is to try them for yourself.
    good luck, god speed, report back!
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    405
    My boyfriend a now walking full time c4/5 incomplete claims using a vibration plate was one of the best things he ever did.

  7. #17
    There are a number of animal and human studies on the use of vibration plate weight bearing therapy for both prevention of and treatment of osteoporosis. NASA did use such a device on the Space Shuttle, and apparently also has one installed on the international Space Station, since there have been major problems with astronauts developing fairly severe osteoporosis during long space missions.

    The original studies on this were Canadian, and done by a scientist there with turkeys. He then worked with NASA to design their system, and also did some human trials with children with CP in Britian. There are some on-going studies with humans with SCI as we speak. The jury is still out on this, but it is probably not harmful to try.

    You need to be weight bearing on the vibrating plate...so figuring out how to install the correct amplitude/frequency of vibrating plate device into a standing frame is the major challenge. There is a pretty specific range of amplitute/frequency that has been found to be helpful in research, so if you don't have that available there is no way to determine if it would be helpful for you or not.

    (KLD)

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are a number of animal and human studies on the use of vibration plate weight bearing therapy for both prevention of and treatment of osteoporosis. NASA did use such a device on the Space Shuttle, and apparently also has one installed on the international Space Station, since there have been major problems with astronauts developing fairly severe osteoporosis during long space missions.

    The original studies on this were Canadian, and done by a scientist there with turkeys. He then worked with NASA to design their system, and also did some human trials with children with CP in Britian. There are some on-going studies with humans with SCI as we speak. The jury is still out on this, but it is probably not harmful to try.

    You need to be weight bearing on the vibrating plate...so figuring out how to install the correct amplitude/frequency of vibrating plate device into a standing frame is the major challenge. There is a pretty specific range of amplitute/frequency that has been found to be helpful in research, so if you don't have that available there is no way to determine if it would be helpful for you or not.

    (KLD)

    Do you know what the range is?

Similar Threads

  1. vibration therapy
    By terence in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 01:57 PM
  2. vibration therapy
    By handibob in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 06:39 PM
  3. Whole Body Vibration
    By wildwilly in forum Exercise & Recovery
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 09:25 AM
  4. Vibration Therapy
    By wazabiker in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM
  5. vibration therapy
    By Ross1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •