Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Racing Wheelchair

Is that a footrest? I've not seen one of those before on a racer.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Warrior machine !!
    Very, very nice wheels…
    Are you looking for a streamlined fork ?
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Yeah, it's a footrest. I think the kneeling position is used almost exclusively these days. I have the option on this chair to replace the current seating arrangement with a kneeling one, but I doubt I'll pursue that in the near future.

robotnik,

haha, those Corima wheels are a nice product.

I've got some designs on a different fork/steering system that will make some big differences in weight, aerodynamics and aesthetics. All I need is more hours in the day.

I have never used a Racing chair but that actually looks fun. With my feeling I could never have my legs tucked up under me. Nice work.

The disc wheels are fine for in doors or track racing, but road racing or any cross wind they will hurt you.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    The disc wheels are fine for in doors or track racing, but road racing or any cross wind they will hurt you.

Absolutely not true. Disc wheels are used almost exclusively in road racing. Some people use 4 spoke wheels for track because they are lighter but most (>90%) use disc's for road racing. Crosswinds do not effect a racing chair like they do a handcycle or regular bicycle. Also you can push off of the disc to climb steep hills on road courses.

A lot of amputees and triathletes still use footrests. Since paratriathlon is a sprint distance race you can lose the race in transition. Some people still use a footrest so they have a quicker t2 time. My wife primarily uses her racer for triathlons so we got hers built with a footrest, where my is a kneeler. You can see from the picture we are in roughly the same position for pushing, but I am slightly more arrow due to the solid knee pan.

Attachment 50192

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    A lot of amputees and triathletes still use footrests. Since paratriathlon is a sprint distance race you can lose the race in transition. Some people still use a footrest so they have a quicker t2 time. My wife primarily uses her racer for triathlons so we got hers built with a footrest, where my is a kneeler. You can see from the picture we are in roughly the same position for pushing, but I am slightly more arrow due to the solid knee pan.

Attachment 50192
    Somebody's been to see Marty..

Xcalibur all the way. I've got one too.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Normaly racer guys have two pairs of wheels, if the race is in a windy day they didn`t use disc wheels.
    In handbikes too, in a windy day a disc wheel could make you lost the race, so it`s better take with you an extra pair of wheels for if where you go is windy.

Tman

Marty is the best builder in the business. It's very important to get the fit right, and Marty is a master at that. Mine fits me like a glove.