Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Racing Wheelchair

Carbon Fiber Racing Wheelchair

Having tried most other types of speed machines, racing wheelchairs seemed like a great way to have some fun.

Though still early in testing, I was anxious to share some photos of the project. Full details and specs will be available soon, but some of the highlights include:

Full carbon fiber main frame, fork, seating assembly, footrest mount and footplate.

700c Corima composite disk wheels with one off carbon fiber handrims

12 degree camber

74" length

Modular design to allow for feet forward and eventually kneeling positions

I'm looking forward to some more spirited testing soon, but so far the results are very promising. The chair is light, fast and surprisingly comfortable.

Ben
    Black Alloy Sportschairs

Looks like a nice racer. What little time I've spent in one though I'd hardly call em fun.
    TexasWheelz in reincarnate, couldn't log in or get my PW reset...

Beautiful chair, gorgeous lawn!

Great work. There's no doubt that you spent quite a bit of time on it. What does it weigh?

Wow, beautiful!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Having tried most other types of speed machines, racing wheelchairs seemed like a great way to have some fun.

Though still early in testing, I was anxious to share some photos of the project. Full details and specs will be available soon, but some of the highlights include:

Full carbon fiber main frame, fork, seating assembly, footrest mount and footplate.

700c Corima composite disk wheels with one off carbon fiber handrims

12 degree camber

74" length

Modular design to allow for feet forward and eventually kneeling positions

I'm looking forward to some more spirited testing soon, but so far the results are very promising. The chair is light, fast and surprisingly comfortable.

Ben
    Black Alloy Sportschairs

Cool!! just a question, has been the frame dried in a vacuum oven?

Sweet ride. Love the wheels!

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah it was a lot of work, but it's always fun to take on some new challenges.

I don't have a final weight measured for it yet, but in the 16lb range. The frame components make up the smallest portion of that number. Wheels, cushions, handlebar system and fasteners contribute the bulk of the final weight. I'm working on a completely different fork/steering system that will reduce the weight of those items considerably.

totoL1,

the majority of components on this project were constructed with high pressure bladder molding. Several were made with matched mold compression and a few that were unique and wouldn't require duplication were made with old fashioned wet layup and vacuum bags. We even threw in a little lost-foam molding for good measure!

the majority of components on this project were constructed with high pressure bladder molding. Several were made with matched mold compression and a few that were unique and wouldn't require duplication were made with old fashioned wet layup and vacuum bags. We even threw in a little lost-foam molding for good measure!
    Exactly!

totoL1,

OK them, your answer is correct for let me know you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UST9QNDR5I