Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stage 2 Pressure Sore on Sacrum Thanks to Hospital

Stage 2 Pressure Sore on Sacrum Thanks to Hospital

Thanks to shoddy hospital care, I have a stage 2 pressure ulcer on my sacrum, although it is healing. What is the proper treatment for this? I am staying off of it while in bed, and spraying Vetericyn VF hydrogel on it 3-4x/day, upping my protein and water intake and taking my multivitamin.

Is Silver Sulfamide good for this? In the hospital they keep wanting to put calazine cream on it and I just wipe it off.

Thanks,
    Jason

Thanks. Does anyone else have anymore treatment options?

Be sure your pants are not putting pressure on the area. Sometimes people slit the seam in the seat of the pants to relieve pressure. Also, if the bottom of the back upholstery can be loosened It can relieve possible pressure. The calazime is probably of no benefit. The silver prep can help prevent or treat infections. There are also silver impregnated dressings these day that may be more useful. You did not indicate the size of the wound. Watch it closely and if it does not appear to be getting better, get back to CC and post a photo of it if you can. For now, I would continue with the VF Hydrogel.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

It is 3cm but without any dressing on it it will just reopen and bleed everytime I transfer using my sliding board. New skin is trying to grow over it.

Today we sprayed it with the Vetericyn, put the Silvadene on top then put two layers of gauze on top in place of Duoderm. Should we only use the VVF and gauze.? I'm

Have you tried Mepilex foam dressings? I have one area that tends to open up every now and then and this type of dressing works very well for me. I place it on the wound (it is self adhesive), then cover it with Tegaderm. It is expensive, but one square can go a long way, because it can be cut to size. These dressings can stay on for up to 7 days, depending on the drainage. I have been able to sit in my chair and do normal activities with this on. I am not recommending that though. Anyway, my wounds (stageII) have healed up in as little as two weeks. The links listed below, show the supplies I use. It may be something you can consider. I hope you find something that works for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q0URA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=l po-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00294P2JO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZW5DYFADPRBK8388GE0

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-1624W/dp/B0009Q2OMW/ref=pd_sim_hpc_5

I love Mepilex Border dressings as well. That sucker will heal right up (hopefully).

You should let the hospital Patient Advocate know ASAP. In the future, you have to take control of your care. You can't rely on nurses or doctors ... I bring a mirror and inspect myself if hospitalized. I always ask for extra pillows and explain the reason why ... nurses understand and you'll be doing them a favour by looking after yourself as much as possible.

Hope this heals quick (stay in bed - you're re-injuring when transferring on it).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Prayers are with you jbridges and as always that is all I have except for commiseration, which I offer.

My local hospital insists on my using an air mattress with recirculating air, so the mattress kind of moves around. It is kind of noisy and annoying, and tricky to transfer from, but because one moves less when in the hospital, it is probably a good idea. I think I read on here this was recommended too. Did your hospital give you one of these, or rather, how was the sore caused exactly?

Also are you still on the hospital? How is the pneumonia / fever healing?

Lynnifer...someone should make a list "how to survive a hospital". I am not sure I should do it since I usually feel horrible there, like I am being tortured by insane people. Still, My tips are: cath oneself, so have IV on forearm or elbow so can put gloves on; get the recirculating air mattress; bring an iPad with cellular; bring headphones, earplugs; try and get out of bed as soon as and as much as possible (often not possible, as in this case); try and get a single room; be very cautious about transfers, as some nurses are terrifyingly incompetent. I also found doubling Miralax to two doses a day is only way to stop constipation, others might be different.

I usually want to shout and scream at the whole place for the the nightmare of the whole experience, but I doubt that is advisable, so I just try and survive. And I have I guess. Also, no matter how bad some people are, I always have found some really good and helpful staff. So pray you get those, and use them when you find them.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 06-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I love Mepilex Border dressings as well. That sucker will heal right up (hopefully).

You should let the hospital Patient Advocate know ASAP. In the future, you have to take control of your care. You can't rely on nurses or doctors ... I bring a mirror and inspect myself if hospitalized. I always ask for extra pillows and explain the reason why ... nurses understand and you'll be doing them a favour by looking after yourself as much as possible.

Hope this heals quick (stay in bed - you're re-injuring when transferring on it).
    Unfortunately when I fell ill I wss out of it forgot to tell them to tuy.
    Rn. Me otherwise I do.

I would ditch the duoderm. The wound clinic here rarely uses it. They say that its use is largely a result of aggressive marketing rather than effectiveness. I know some of the people there and IMO, they are top notch. If your wound does close with new skin, I would suggest using just a protective dressing like a 4x4 folded into quarters. If it is open, I would go lith the tegaderm or the silver dressing and the protective gauze.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    Unfortunately when I fell ill I wss out of it forgot to tell them to tuy.
    Rn. Me otherwise I do.
    If you have the opportunity to talk to hospital staff, suggest that they develop a written protocol indicating that any patient admitted with a diagnosis of SCI automatically be placed on a low air loss mattress. At least two of the hospitals here started doing that. In addition, they automatically send a referral to a wound care nurse who does a checkout and followup. They have some other diagnoses on their list but I am not sure what they are.