Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSDI - Couple of questions

SSDI - Couple of questions

First - Since I started working part time, I have been reporting my wages to Social Security monthly. Now, my employer gets a letter in the mail from the local SSA office wanting to know how much I have been paid for each month in 2013, and it said they wanted to know the amount of gross wages I had earned each month. I "earned" a certain amount and I also received a salary continuation benefit (LTD paid 66% of my salary, employer paid the other 33% minus the wages earned). I wouldn't think the salary continuation benefit would apply to "wages earned?" I''m still in my TWP, but I don't want SSA to think I am lying when I reported my wages.

Also, since I got approved for SSDI (and before) I have had a lot of out of pocket medical expenses. Will they reimburse me for these or no?

Once I am out of my TWP, (past 9 months) and in the Extended Period of Eligibility, what happens each months that I earn more than the SGA amount of 750 per month?

It is my intention to receive as many benefits as possible, but I want to work I can;t jut sit around and do nothing.

Thanks,
    Jason

I believe the sga is now $1020 per month, not $750. During the extended period of eligibility, if your wages drop below sga, you can receive your monthly benefit. Regarding work expenses, they will not directly reimburse you, but it does work in your favor. Keep track of those expenses, report them to ssa, and they will can be deducted from your gross monthly income to stay below sga levels. For example, if you make $1300 a month you would be over sga limit and not entitled to monthly ssdi. However, if you had $300 of work expenses related to your disability, that would reduce your monthly income to $1000, and you are now below sga and entitled to your ssdi benefit. Sorry, don't know about the ltd stuff.

For 2013 the limit is 1040 gross income..

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/res...-ssdi-benefits

Most of my out of pocket medical expenses occurred during my TWP. Does that do me any good? After my TWP, my expenses won;t be work related just out of pocket medical expenses.

Bump

I definitely can't answer all of your questions but can try to respond to one or two. Before I had my social security readjusted recently, I was in the same boat as you: working part-time and reporting my meagre wages to SSDI, just so they could collect most of it back. In addition to contacting your employer, social security should have sent you some stupid forms to fill out on a monthly basis to report your income. If you happen to have an iPhone, there is also an app you can download to report electronically, but you have to do it by the 6th day of the month, I believe.

I don't completely understand how your salary is being split and paid, but if you have any concerns that you are not reporting it correctly, you need to get on the phone and call your local office to find out exactly what you need to do. Do not wait!

Yes, it sucks when you want to work and SSDI just takes most of that money right back. I feel the same as you: I would still rather be working as much as possible even if I don't see a dime. So there is a limit to how much you can make per month: $750. Anything you make beyond that and report, will be owed back to SSDI and they will collect it out of your check. Again, you can discuss this in depth when you call them about reporting your income. I hate calling them as much as anybody but it is a necessary evil. You do not want to run afoul of these people. One time my bank account went $2 over the $2,000 limit and it created a cluster*&$k that lasted for about three months and resulted in me losing substantial SSDI income. Not worth it.

Finally, as far as your out of pocket medical expenses, I have never heard of SSDI paying for anything like that. I do not know of any way for you to recoup that loss. In the future, if you are purchasing equipment that can help you work, like hand controls, a lift for a vehicle, or even a college class, you can go to your local vocational rehab and try to sell them on paying for it. It will not be a fun or quick process but could save you a lot of money in the long run. I got hand controls that way. All the best!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

WHATEVER, make sure employer and Social Security are fully aware of what is going on. My ex had gotten children social disability and NEVER reported it to my employer. Eventually employer sand social security found out they overpaid me the amount she was getting for a VERY LONG TIME. My payment for a very long time until insurance company was paid of was $0 every month This I think was close o 1-1/2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    . One time my bank account went $2 over the $2,000 limit and it created a cluster*&$k that lasted for about three months and resulted in me losing substantial SSDI income.!
    SSI limits affected SSDI payments?

Ugh. Sorry for the confusion. I rearrange SSI and SSDI all the time. I was getting SSI and it was their $2,000 limit on my bank account that thwarted me.

Here is the backstory: they did not disburse my next month's payment because I went over the limit, and then said future payments would be held up until I sorted through massive red tape. I was lucky to not be completely dependent on that income to survive or it would have been an absolute disaster. I think it took about three months to work everything out. This all happened about two or three years ago from around January to March. This was because of literally $2. They have to draw the line somewhere and they make no exceptions. Boy did I learn my lesson.
    Last edited by NikkiMaya; 06-17-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarity.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Well, you are so much more richer and much less needy with that extra $2.00. I guess they need to draw a line, but I think a running average might be more workable for all involved.