Thread: Broken Rods In My Neck

Broken Rods In My Neck

I had 2 titanium rods installed after I broke my neck in July 2009. They ran from the base of my occiput to the C6 vertebrae. Less than two years later, both of them broke, and I had to have the upper portion of them removed. Unfortunately, the surgery has left me with a tremendous amount of pain.
    Has anyone heard of any product liability issues or anything similar happening? I was under the impression that titanium rods should not break, at least not within the first 24 months.
    C3/C4. Complete

My neighbor in Ohio had a titanium rod placed in his leg after a car accident, at the Cleveland Clonic. It broke after about 18 months.

As I understand it, the problem is the rods are "sintered"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintering

...not cast. Either it makes it easier to machine to fit, or the theory is that tissue will grow into the matrix.

I don't know if there is legal action pending or not.

I don't know of any legal action pending. I do believe that is one of the potential problems that was probably in the surgical consent, but you could check your medical record to see. You could contact a PersonalInjury lawyer.
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I don't know of any legal action pending. I do believe that is one of the potential problems that was probably in the surgical consent, but you could check your medical record to see. You could contact a PersonalInjury lawyer.
    CKF
    I don't think the surgical consent would affect a suit against the product manufacturer. I agree, call a plaintiff's law firm.. Try Morgan and Morgan----big enough to know the answer.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

The rods broke due to stress from motion.

Hardware fractures are usually due to lack of fusion. (of the bones)

Thanks for the repliesI realize they may have broke due to stress or motion, but in less than two years? Plus I really wasn't doing anything besides turning my head – 15° Max. I still have no range of motion, in fact I now have less since the surgery to fix the rods.
    C3/C4. Complete