Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisville Research

Louisville Research

Sorry I can post the entire article but is anyone excited about this?

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/jun...t#.UbPFt2S9Kc1

Has gotten back b/b/s function so far

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Sorry I can post the entire article but is anyone excited about this?

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/jun...t#.UbPFt2S9Kc1

Has gotten back b/b/s function so far
    I am sorry but I could not read the artlcle without subscribing. Are you sure that the person got back b/b/s function?

Wise.

Yea over time. I have a paper copy which has the full article. Out if town but hope to scan it next week and put up. I may find some time to put type some of it out tonight.

• Home
    • »
    • June
    • »
    • Electrode Implants Help Paralyzed Patient Back Onto His Feet

FROM THE JUNE 2013 ISSUE
    Electrode Implants Help Paralyzed Patient Back Onto His Feet

Electrical stimulation offers hope for adults with spinal cord injuries to learn to walk again.

By Nate Berg
    RELATED TAGS: BRAIN MECHANICS, NEUROSCIENCE

Share on print

Rob Summers is standing up. Two feet on the ground, legs straight, hips squared. He has done it thousands of times before — out of bed in the morning to practice with his championship-winning collegiate baseball team, or up from the couch to get a snack.
    Most memorably, he stood up on a July night in 2006 to walk out the door and over to his parked car on a street in Portland, Ore. Standing next to his Ford Explorer, he saw the lights of another vehicle approaching from behind. It was coming fast — too fast.
    Before he could get out of the way, the car threw him to the ground, and the driver fled what was a gruesome scene: Summers lay on the asphalt in a pool of blood, the victim of a hit-and-run that severed the connection between his brain and spinal cord and paralyzed him from the chest down.
    Fast-forward three and a half years: A 23-year-old Summers is standing up again. He’s in a lab, hooked up to wires and sensors, and surrounded by doctors and research assistants. He is the first patient in an experiment that has gone fantastically right.

Yea, if someone who has access to the article and could give us some more specific information, that'd be great.
    Whatever return he has got is good...but before is, I have read that he has (self reported) "improved" b/b/s function. This of course could mean a lot of things.

A fair amount of time has passed.

05/20/2011

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...sis/47345722/1
    "This is very exciting. It will make a big impact. If it works in one person, it's going to work in many people," said McDonald, who believes the technology may help about 10% to 15% of people with spinal cord injuries.
    The surgical procedure was followed up with daily physical therapy sessions, and Summers has regained some sexual and bladder function, doctors said.
    The procedure is not ready for the clinic, cautioned Susan Harkema, of the University of Louisville's Department of Neurosurgery and Frazier Rehab Institute, where Summers was treated. The scientists will test the treatment in a second patient this summer.
    McDonald said the technology won't help everyone.
    "This has the potential to dramatically change the lives," McDonald said. "It's not a perfect cure, but it doesn't need to be."
    The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation.

Isn't this just an old story? Epi-stim.

There are articles back a couple of years ago but this is a recent 2013 article with how things have progressed and trial they are doing with 4 other subjects

If there is new information, could you post the article? Thank you...

Here is some parts of the article which was in Discovery Magazine:

In late 2009 a team surgically implanted the electrode array directly over Summers’ dura. The neurostimulator device and remote controlled mechanisim bulge out of the lower right side of his back like a “small stack of business cards”.
    A few weeks after recovering from the surgery they turned on the stimulator and lowered him onto a treadmill. As his feet touched down and his lower body began to feel his weight Summers’ legs began to engage. The trainers stabilized him but slowly moved away and he was able to stand on his own.
    After a few months of training with the implant (which included standing and assisted walking over a treadmill) he was able to show improvements in how stable and how long he was able to stand. Unexpectedly he also regained other movements below his waist: wiggling his toes, moving his ankles, bending his knees, and flexing his hips. The more his motor neurons communicated with the muscles in his lower body the more he remembered how to move. The training was augmented by the electrical stimulation itself. Edgerston says the current might of reactivated damaged neurons or caused new neurons to grow across the site of the injury or both. Although he could stand only a few minutes in a harness that first time in 2009, Summers now practices unassisted for an hour a day. He regularly does cardio and weight training as well.
    Before the treatment like most people he didn’t sweat below injury level/trouble regulating blood pressure/trouble getting an erection/no control over bowels and bladder. “I had a prescription list close to two pages long” to regulate most of these functions, he says. But after the implant and through his extensive training, Summers has regained control of most of these functions and has ditched the drugs-an unexpected result that he says has given him back much of the freedom he lost after his accident.
    Edgerton can’t say for sure why those functions returned, although he hypothesizes that they may have come back once more blood was pumping into the legs as muscles started to engage again.
    The electrode device is not fine-tuned enough for walking, a much more complicated movement. Edgerton and Harkema are now working on a more sophisticated stimulator that could help patients take the next step.
    Here are some links I came across about it
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...g_Research.htm