Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisville Research

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Here is some parts of the article which was in Discovery Magazine:

In late 2009 a team surgically implanted the electrode array directly over Summers’ dura. The neurostimulator device and remote controlled mechanisim bulge out of the lower right side of his back like a “small stack of business cards”.

The electrode device is not fine-tuned enough for walking, a much more complicated movement. Edgerton and Harkema are now working on a more sophisticated stimulator that could help patients take the next step.
    Here are some links I came across about it
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...g_Research.htm
    I must be missing the part about recent information. Can you point me toward that ? Thanks

I think the recent info is the movement in his toes/hips being able to lift foot up and able to stand unassisted for an hour a day and b/b/s function improvements. All the info I saw before now was just mostly about standing. Unless I missed it/

All this information is old. Improvement of b/b/s and use of his legs was noticed shortly after turning of the stimuator. Than some new information was about Rob moving his toe without use of the stimuator (stim off). I havent heard anything else than that they were to try it on more patients. If theres any more info please post it. Also I was wondering if anybody would know Rob to join us and give some insight how this helped him.

Strange it's all "old" with the article being in June 2013 magazine

Strange it's all "old" with the article being in June 2013 magazine
    Yes, but the original study, published in 2011, had all this information in it (along with a slew of supplementary videos on youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Yes, but the original study, published in 2011, had all this information in it (along with a slew of supplementary videos on youtube)
    The media does more lather/rinse/repeat on various articles than the public realizes. Sometimes things get posted here many times over the years even though it's not new information from previous reports. Sometimes it's new information for people that didn't see it the first few times it was posted.

So does anyone know if this is dead or has been finished? They did other patients I think 4 but they all remained anonymous other then Sommers.

So does anyone know if this is dead or has been finished? They did other patients I think 4 but they all remained anonymous other then Sommers.
    They continue the research concept studies but need a much more sophisticated electrode set up. Engineering is working on it the last I knew. It's not exactly "close" to clinical application/surgical implantations (prime time).
    http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/2012/01/12/44/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3599040/
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 06-17-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Isn't this just an old story? Epi-stim.
    Is it true?
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    Is it true?
    Is what true? The returns that Rob Summers gained or the fact that the story is a recycled one?