Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY state pharmacies making copies of drivers license for opiate Rx

NY state pharmacies making copies of drivers license for opiate Rx

NY state pharmacies making copies of drivers license for opiate Rx
    my pharmacist, whom i have been with for over 5 years, walgreens, told me NYS passed a new this march 2013 effective that required them to make a copy of your drivers license is you were prescribed one of opiates on the list, vicodin is even on there. The federal TIRFF REMS law does not require this.
    Information is always leaked, already been through identity theft, Don't want a break in, or findout a seret code gets snuck on the computer system the state uses to run your license. If this is not the true law i want to get a lawyer and make them liable. I will contact my state senator in the meantime.
    Has anyone else run into this in NY, I am on A federal program that both me and my doctor had to sign , but no copy of my drivers license which i find extremity troubling . There is a hippa law and i was arguing with them, i should have thought to call the corporate office, and make sure this was what they were telling the pharmacies, and fight the drivers license via the legislature, since a copy of y license is easy fraud, plus if they give it to law enforcement, i could be ob a dose i am perfectly use to, but since i cant walk a straight line without the med, and my eyes will always show a slower response to light, thousands of dollars in lawyers bills . I drive with a dash cam for 5 years to protect myself, and before this even happened signed up with my insurance for a voluntary black box so they could monitor my driving habits, as i drive very slow, don't speed, don't even drive 30mph on crowded NYC streets, 20 mph should be the speed limit on these streets.
    Last edited by metronycguy; 06-08-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spellling
    cauda equina

Interesting and I agree disturbing.

I am wondering what they do for people who don't have driver's licenses?
    Photo ID?

I know here in Virginia they have developed a tight data base system. I don't use opioids on an ongoing basis, but it concerns me that actions being taken are going to keep people that desperately need treatment for pain management from receiving them.

Many doctors here have gone to blanket policies simply not writing certain schedule drug prescriptions.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 06-08-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo

If you don't have a drivers license you should still have a state photo ID, and they put numbers on those the same as the drivers license's for identification.

I'm in Indiana and use walgreens and they recently had a change as well, I can't remember what they called the program but now they have to verify with your Dr every 90 days. I have to drive to a specific walgreens to get my opiates every month, and I was pissed when I got there and had to leave my scripts and drive back out the next day to get my meds so they could call my Dr. I see my pain Dr every month and get the same meds every month, fill them at the same walgreens every month, and now every 90 days I have to drop off the scripts and wait for them to contact my Dr to verify I'm not stealing the scripts (I assume thats what its for) before I can get my meds. I'm a bit pissed off that its so frequent, I think if you've been on the same meds from the same Dr they should let you get a 6 month verification or something. I have a hard time getting out of the house and don't go out much more than Drs appts, and other people frequently pick up my non narcotic prescriptions when I'm unable to go out. So its a real pain now to have to drive across town that extra time.

I don't have a problem with the state programs that record opiate prescriptions, I actually think thats helpful for those who have legitimate needs. If they can quickly check the program and see that I've been seeing the same Dr, always get the same meds, never try to fill my meds early, have been on the same dosages yadda yadda then hopefully I won't be treated like an addict. Kind of like random drug testing, fine whatever take all the pee you want as long as you treat me with respect after and give me my meds.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

...Welcome to obama care...In Fl you have to show a liscence. My Doc's are'nt real happy with the "wonderfull new world"....even the ones that supported him !!! More to come ..wait till next year !!

in va beach, whenever i renew my vicodin prescription, they write down everything on my drivers license
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

In Indiana they write your driver's license number on the physical script before filling.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

i just got my script filled and no copy of my driver's license was asked for. the only thing i showed was my benefit card.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

something stinks, I don't even have to pick up my vics myself. anyone can even my friend
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by tdirt View Post
    ...Welcome to obama care...In Fl you have to show a liscence. My Doc's are'nt real happy with the "wonderfull new world"....even the ones that supported him !!! More to come ..wait till next year !!
    We used to have to show ID to get Sudafed. It has nothing to do with "Obamacare."

I think in CA, you have to show (possibly allow a copy to be made of) your driver's license (or CA ID card) to buy behind the counter, but non prescription pseudoephedrine.

All the best,
    GJ