Thread: Recurring UTI

Recurring UTI

hello, my name is Tejas Parmar. I am a C6 quad SCI since 9 yrs from Mumbai, India.
    I do IC after 4 hrs during the day and keep the catherter in during the night.
    Lately, for the past 2 months i am having this recurring UTI. I hardly had UTI for the last 2 yrs. But since 2 months i get the symptoms of burning sensation, leakage, frequent IC. I take anti-biotics for 3-4 days, symptoms go away, but after a week they are back.
    Plz kindly suggest me step-wise what do i do get rid of this recurring UTI.

Thanks,
    Tejas.

Blog Entries
    Hi, maybe you could get a laboratory for urinalysis and urine cultures sensitivity so that you can learn the specific bacteria that is causing UTI. Hope all goes well
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Agree with "iskumbro."

Get an order from your physician for a urinalysis (UA) and a culture and sensitivity (C&S). Take a specimen to a lab or maybe your doctor's office performs these test. The UA results should come back in about a day. The C&S take about 3 days. The lab will grow cultures and expose them to various antibiotics. A report will be returned to your physician, which will show him/her the most effective antibiotic to use for the type of bacteria that is causing the urinary tract infection. Get a prescription from the physician for that antibiotic. The prescription should be for a 10-14 day course of the antibiotic, not just 3-4 days. Take the full course of antibiotics. When you have finished the full course, wait a couple of days to allow the antibiotic to clear your system, then take in another urine specimen for UA and C&S. This second test should be done to be sure there is no bacterial growth in the urine.

Anytime you have a catheter indwelling (overnight, in your case), you run a greater risk of developing urinary tract infections. You may want to consider a different type of bladder management if catching overnight is difficult for you.

All the best,
    GJ

Totally agree with GJ!
    CKF