Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roller coasters

Roller coasters

For those that have ridden roller coasters since becoming injured, do you strap your legs together with some sort of Velcro strap? Or do you just let them dangle?

I just let them dangle. I am not on the ride that long to really worry about it and they really do not flop around much.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

With the luck I have I can just picture my legs twisting and snapping lol

When you get the leg problem figured out try this baby!

You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

What do they (park staff) do with your chair? I can't figure that part out. Funny this thread just came up, I have been thinking about going on a rollercoaster. Not SCI but I haven't been on a rollercoaster since I started using a chair (17 years).

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    When you get the leg problem figured out try this baby!

Looks amazing! But I don't think I'd try any roller coasters that only have a lap bar I wouldn't feel very secure. I'd only go on the ones that have the restraints that come down over your shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    What do they (park staff) do with your chair? I can't figure that part out. Funny this thread just came up, I have been thinking about going on a rollercoaster. Not SCI but I haven't been on a rollercoaster since I started using a chair (17 years).
    That's a good question I would suppose they just move it to the side until you're done with the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    That's a good question I would suppose they just move it to the side until you're done with the ride.
    Eek, I worry that you may be right. My chair is $5,000 out of pocket and is my lifeline, plus my personal items I'd leave with the chair. I'd worry about a highschool kid telling me they'll look out for my chair. Maybe there's a shift change or maybe some other people think it would be funny to say my chair is theirs and roll off with it. I contacted Great America, our local park, and asked about what their procedure is. Have to wait and see what they say.

When I rode roller coasters at Six Flags & Disney I was always boarded from the exit platform. Then your chair is already on the exit side. The ride operators just move it to the side. I've never had any issues with someone taking off or messing with the chair.

Only rode a coaster once where legs dangled below seats. I had more of an issue with my head bobbling side-to-side with all the loops. When I rode the milder coasters at Disney, a friend helped me stay up right by either arm around my shoulders or in front of my shoulders to help brace me.

The old wooden roller coasters are very bumpy. I'm not a big roller coaster fan, but I have taken a bunch of rides on The Great Bear at Hersheypark, PA. The seats have the over-the-shoulder restraint and your legs are dangling. Not a big deal.