Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Student-built wheelchair runs indefinitely on solar power

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    The article actually says the idea came from an individual, and the chair will be shipped to that individual after being refined.
    Hence, I underlined the "s" and don't get me started on the mismanagement of UCP :P

C
    Last edited by Essie; 06-09-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

There is nothing at all innovative about this, they bolted some solar panels to a power chair, making a functional piece of medical equipment inconvenient and massively conspicuous... and they won a frickin prize for it?! I wanna know what the other guys came up with to come second to this!

Sorry to sound harsh but i agree 100% with T8. This is a total waste of time, effort and money and in no way does it help anybody with a disability.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Looks like they found everything to build the frame at home depot. I am not impressed at all.
    How would a disabled person even get into that thing?

Isn't it a lot easier to carry around the charger and power cord than those panels?
    Seriously. This is useless.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

I pretty much agree with what all of you said. Still, as a "concept", once they made it all about 99% smaller, it could work in future.

Then again, why not just become a "Techy Fashionista" and where something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    We have a large concentration of people here in wheelchairs, would anyone find having a large canopy of solar panels practical and useful?
    Of course, you would also need to live somewhere that it would make sense. For us in Holland the only use of the large canopy would be to keep the rain out, and that would pretty much defeat the use of the solar panels. Hey, wait a minute, maybe we could just mount a windmill on a wheelchair, now there is an idea that would work !
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Of course, you would also need to live somewhere that it would make sense. For us in Holland the only use of the large canopy would be to keep the rain out, and that would pretty much defeat the use of the solar panels. Hey, wait a minute, maybe we could just mount a windmill on a wheelchair, now there is an idea that would work !
    Why not skip the windmill and just go with a sail?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Protection from the sun and rain are pluses. I see using it inside as a problem with those panels in the back. I wonder what a good gust of wind would do to it. I could go very long distances if you have the time to creep to the destination. Interesting. Don't see it as a need priority.
    The reason I would want solar panel on my chair is because I only get 10 - 15 miles to a full charge; and sometimes I like to be out all day. Also, when I climb the hill to my favorite elevated view of town, it uses more power. With the solar panel attached to the chair, I won't have any such restrictions. Also, if I travel by train, I won't have to find places to plug in along the trip.
    Finally, it is a chore to swap out batteries on my power chair; so I'm not inclined to use your method.

Quote Originally Posted by Argiod View Post
    Also, if I travel by train, I won't have to find places to plug in along the trip.
    Finally, it is a chore to swap out batteries on my power chair; so I'm not inclined to use your method.
    I'd like to see you get that in/out of a train door. In the UK trains have power sockets so you can recharge whilst on them. You would need to work out how much power is needed to charge the chair and the size of panels to generate it, then pray for sunshine.