Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get a handcycle

Want to get a handcycle

Hi everyone. I am a 15 year post injury c-4 incomplete. Recently I have been working out a lot and I am gaining a significant amount of upper body strength. My dad and brother both ride and I have been considering the possibility of riding with them. I would like to get a handcycle, but I really know nothing about them. I have called a few vendors to see if I could demo some, but they don't carry any floor models as they are all custom made. If anyone with a cycle could give me some info I would appreciate it. I'm not sure what to look for. Or if anyone knows somewhere in Southern California that I could demo a bike or two that would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris

Where are you located in SoCal?

Chino Hills. About 40 minutes east of Los Angeles

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Just a two cent idea... is it possible to talk to your PT, or find a PT department close to you that deals with SCI patients. They may be able to put you in contact with some local folks that have hand-cycles that would be willing to let you try theirs. My PT department had a couple of cycles we could try and fortunately put me in touch with some folks that pushed me in a good direction.

Ended up with a freedom ryder.

Another 2 cents, once you have an idea which make and model you like, post back here, as some of the folks on here can suggest some great mods you may want to consider before you part with any cash.

My 2 cent suggestion... if you get the freedom ryder, consider a narrower rear axle, and getting the seat pole receiver shortened so you have the option to lie flatter.

While I am at it.. the one downside I have with the freedom ryder is you can't fit fat tires because of the front forks being so narrow, so riding trails on road tires is not so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneRunner View Post
    Chino Hills. About 40 minutes east of Los Angeles
    I'm in north Sand Diego county, have 2 different bikes but that's a ways to travel to try out equipment. Best of luck and I hope you find a bike that suits. Terrific sport!

There should be an adaptive program near you with lots of bikes to try or a rehab hospital with a rec therapy department. I would try there first. Isn't Casa Colina near you? Have you given their therapeutic recreation department a call?

Quote Originally Posted by DuneRunner View Post
    Hi everyone. I am a 15 year post injury c-4 incomplete. Recently I have been working out a lot and I am gaining a significant amount of upper body strength. My dad and brother both ride and I have been considering the possibility of riding with them. I would like to get a handcycle, but I really know nothing about them. I have called a few vendors to see if I could demo some, but they don't carry any floor models as they are all custom made. If anyone with a cycle could give me some info I would appreciate it. I'm not sure what to look for. Or if anyone knows somewhere in Southern California that I could demo a bike or two that would be great.

Thanks,
    Chris
    im your level and race. check your pm. nobody in the world is doing anything close to what we are doing for guys our level.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm looking into getting a bike as well, so this input is great. Has anyone applied/received a grant to cover some of the expense?

Me three, mine was stole a few years back and I never replaced it. They're having a handcycle clinic at the PT part of the hospital here in a week or so. I'm in Missoula, MT. I know Invacare will be there, at least. Check with the PT dept's near you.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

anban, think I remember hearing that some people got grants from the Christopher Reeve foundation to pay for bikes.