Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do people get emotional about sports?

why do people get emotional about sports?

I've never really understood how people can get emotional and even physically aggressive about sports. But I'm starting to learn.... I think its the way many people let out their emotions ... about something really less than important...while being in denial about politics, work, family, their real lives. Being a sports fan is really a cost free rush, isn't it. Unless you BET on sports you don't stand to lose anything if your teamall loses. And if you win you can get all hubbly bubbly with friends, telling yourself that if YOU would have been in little league just one more season, just where you would have been...

I am one of those people who do not understand the whole sports thing. I cannot stand it when people say "we won!". Who won? Certainly not you who sit in the stands, or you sitting on the couch.

You did nothing to win the game, so you did not win. The team you like best or better won. Not you.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Go Ducks, I swear some people just don't get it. Next you will be telling me not to watch the Push Girls. I like a great football game even if I really do not care who wins. Its all about the best athletes in the world doing amazing things. Got to love the great hand cycle races on Youtube. And the Para Olympics were amazing. Plus with a DVR you can just go to the end of the game if you want.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Flying; I live in Eugene and went to the U of O. The Duck crap (advertising) is everywhere. I won't shop at any business that has duck crap all over it. It is pandering to get business from people who aren't even smart enough to realize that they are being had.

Yeah, go (away) ducks.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Because they care about it. Ask anyone from St. Louis who or what brings the City together: Cardinals baseball. We grew up with it, as did four or five generations before us. White, black, red, brown or whatever, rich or poor, AB or disabled, or whatever: we are all big Cardinals fans and have that common interest.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Flying; I live in Eugene and went to the U of O. The Duck crap (advertising) is everywhere. I won't shop at any business that has duck crap all over it. It is pandering to get business from people who aren't even smart enough to realize that they are being had.

Yeah, go (away) ducks.
    Well and all this time I though that you lived in a hand basket, not in the great northwest.LOL I think of you as a fellow Oregonian, and that's part of the appeal of team sports, are area against yours. Of course the players are from all over the world, following the money, and not from your area anyway. I, like a lot of people who like sports, played sports as a kid. Its a great way to stay in shape, and I wish that the youth of today could get more exercise that's for sure. And yes Eugene is a little duck crazy, and don't forget the national track and field meets at Hayward field, but do you really see any harm in a little friendly competition now and then? I really love that a lot of the folks here at the CC are still into sports, its great to see pretty high level quads racing hand cycles, don't you think?
    Take care my fellow Oregonian.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Just last week, a couple of a-holes at Camden Yards were harassing and throwing beer at a guy wearing a Yankees cap. Unfortunately, the guy went to confront them, one of them allegedly punched him, and he fell over a 5 foot wall. The guy is in critical condition at Shock Trauma. We still don't know if he ever talked to an usher before confronting the jerks.

What those jerks did is totally beyond the pale. A little verbal harassment of an opposing team's fan in your ballpark, okay, but nothing beyond that.

I am a rabid Orioles and Ravens fan (my TV is the target of an awful lot of cussing), but I doubt I'd even say anything to an opposing team's fan if I set near one at a ballpark.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Blog Entries

I gotta agree with skippy here. The whole professional sports thing

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I am one of those people who do not understand the whole sports thing. I cannot stand it when people say "we won!". Who won? Certainly not you who sit in the stands, or you sitting on the couch.

You did nothing to win the game, so you did not win. The team you like best or better won. Not you.
    is bizarre. First off, "Professional Sports" in, and of itself is a mutually exclusive term, there's nothing "professional" about it. It consists of nothing more than spoiled, overpaid, obnoxious, self-aggrandizing, EPO or PED (in some cases) responsible, babies that just happen to have been gifted in sports as an adolescent.

It is a hobby, also they are events where people can congregate and have fun. Like restoring old cars, star trek conventions or the myriad of other pointless activities that people do to keep themselves entertained. You can say it is not your thing, but if you deride the people who enjoy it then all you are doing is congratulating yourself on how superior you are.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    It is a hobby, also they are events where people can congregate and have fun. Like restoring old cars, star trek conventions or the myriad of other pointless activities that people do to keep themselves entertained. You can say it is not your thing, but if you deride the people who enjoy it then all you are doing is congratulating yourself on how superior you are.

But, enjoyment is the opposite of useless, isn't it? Good art, design, music, sports and especially old cars were created to fill the need we all have to enjoy life. That 's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.