Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric leg bag emptier

Electric leg bag emptier

I am a caregiver for a close friend who is a C4-5 Incomplete quadriplegic with a suprapubic catheter. He currently restricts his fluid intake during the day because he is not able to empty his own leg bag while at work.

We were looking into Electric Leg Bag Openers but the is the he has a lot of movement in his legs and they do not always stay on the foot rest. He is able to put his legs straight out to stretch or spasm and we are concerned this would get in the way of the leg bag opener.

Any advice or experience would be very helpful.

How about a wireless electric leg bag opener? Here is a demonstration of a quadriplegic using the Freedom Flow II.

It looks like they currently have a waiting list for a new version of the FF 2 leg bag opener.

http://www.strawberrytech.com/

Try searching the Care Cure Community for Electric or Automatic Leg Bag Emptier. There are several threads on this site with recommendations and experiences.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass View Post
    How about a wireless electric leg bag opener? Here is a demonstration of a quadriplegic using the Freedom Flow II.

It looks like they currently have a waiting list for a new version of the FF 2 leg bag opener.

http://www.strawberrytech.com/
    X2, I have the freedom flow also and would never give it up.
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Some days I simply connect my leg bag to my 2000 cc overnight bag and hang it under my chair (it's a power chair). You can cover it with a plastic bag or whatever so it is not so conspicuous at places like work. Most people have no idea it's even there. I can also disconnect it if I need to.

Whatever he does, your friend should not limit his fluid intake! That will only lead to more complications.

Damn! We all pee! So what's the big issue?

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    Some days I simply connect my leg bag to my 2000 cc overnight bag and hang it under my chair (it's a power chair). You can cover it with a plastic bag or whatever so it is not so conspicuous at places like work. Most people have no idea it's even there. I can also disconnect it if I need to.

Whatever he does, your friend should not limit his fluid intake! That will only lead to more complications.

Damn! We all pee! So what's the big issue?
    This is exactly what I do for my husband every day since he got his sp. I even cut a small slit in his jeans just for the tubing to go thru. Works fine and I don't have to worry when I am work.

Leg bag drainer advice for Quads.

Hello,

I thought I would share my opinions about Leg bag drainers for Quads so you can be more independent in a video I made. I have had about 4 different styles of leg bag drainers in my 10+ years of sci life with C5 function. I have had 3 Electric and 1 manual drainer over the years. Here is my 2 cents if you want it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWkxN4bH7M
    Last edited by Flyarmy64; 06-05-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: more info

Recent post on a different thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flyarmy64 View Post
    Hello,

I thought I would share my opinions about Leg bag drainers for Quads so you can be more independent in a video I made. I have had about 4 different styles of leg bag drainers in my 10+ years of sci life with C5 function. I have had 3 Electric and 1 manual drainer over the years. Here is my 2 cents if you want it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKWkxN4bH7M
    Last edited by chris-k; 06-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Your friend needs to drink the amount of fluid prescribed for someone with a sp tube. That should be at least 2qts per day, and for some people even more. It is very important and like stated above, if he doesn't he could be heading for trouble.

Are there one or two people at work that he feels more comfortable with? Maybe he could ask them to help him once or twice a day - take them out to lunch for their assistance every now and then. Most people are more than happy to help if they know what you need.

The other suggestions are equally valuable regarding using the night drainage bag.

Please do your best to get him back on the road to drinking fluids again!

CKF

See the post below

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=193440

This is how I have been doing it for 30 years, hope it helps. Email me if I can help.
    ^^(A)^^