Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So you are thinking about using a ZX-1, SmartDrive, or Firefly on a TiLite chair...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I've been using a Smartdrive for about three weeks now.
    Quite a bit in the house with the unit both off an on.
    When it's off the drag is negligible.
    There is really no need to bother tying it up.
    For noise and tracking dirt around etc. it may help. I'll see if I can rig up something tidy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I've got ADI brakes with individual hand (para) levers, a freewheel, and the smartdrive.
    It's not quite the point and go solution that the ZX-1 would be but it works great, and for me the portability is worth the trade-off.
    Thanks, it's good to know the combination works.

Does the SmartDrive make any beeps etc when you are pushing the button? For those of us with poor hand sensation it may be difficult to tell how long we are holding a button down, if at all.

Lights don't do much good when it is facing forward under the front of the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Pat, thanks for saying that. By the way different thread but, your original ZX-1, the one you ride with, what is the max speed? I could swear I remember that the speed was much higher before Spinergy got involved. With the initial speed, I considered the ZX-1 an option.
    The speed quoted in the manual is due to RESNA bs, specifically to get the required range number they decided was needed to be classified as a category I power chair. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety tests. That may not be the max speed that it ships from the factory. The possible top speed is about 6mph which you can easily get in about 5 seconds with the handheld programmer PGDT PP1. Just change the forward speed from whatever it is to 100. They are sometimes on ebay, I know there's a guy on ebay that rents one to people for $75. Any place that services power chairs should be able to do it for you also. Or you can unplug your controller and send it to me, it's easy and no tools are required, and Ill do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    The speed quoted in the manual is due to RESNA bs, specifically to get the required range number they decided was needed to be classified as a category I power chair. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety tests. That may not be the max speed that it ships from the factory. The possible top speed is about 6mph which you can easily get in about 5 seconds with the handheld programmer PGDT PP1. Just change the forward speed from whatever it is to 100. They are sometimes on ebay, I know there's a guy on ebay that rents one to people for $75. Any place that services power chairs should be able to do it for you also. Or you can unplug your controller and send it to me, it's easy and no tools are required, and Ill do it for you.
    Half a dozen CC members chip in and buy one and pass it around.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Does the SmartDrive make any beeps etc when you are pushing the button? For those of us with poor hand sensation it may be difficult to tell how long we are holding a button down, if at all.

Lights don't do much good when it is facing forward under the front of the seat.
    One short beep means it has registered 'on'. Two means 'off'. A long beep means it's detected that you're putting it in the 'turbo' mode--the catch here is that the longer you hold the button down for in this scenario, the higher the speed you'll get (up to the maximum, of course). I've had to train myself not to let go of the button as soon as I hear that long beep, because that won't net me full speed. So I hold the button, keep holding through the beep, chair will start moving, I let go then if it seems fast enough for my liking or keep holding if not. It's taken some adjusting to for me, and I have full hand sensation and a quiet enough neighbourhood that I can usually hear the beeps. I can see how using the turbo mode would be challenging for folks with less hand sensation/noisier environments/less hearing.

I wonder whether they will consider a design for the remote they're working on that would have multiple buttons/switches (or perhaps a couple of indicator lights)? The current one-button design on the battery unit is beautifully simple, and there's no way you can hit the wrong button because there isn't a wrong button. But an on/off switch lever and a separate turbo button might be more reassuring. Of course, levers can be easily knocked, so that's another issue. I've only managed to hit the button once accidentally with my leg so far...

Reconfiguration that had to be done on Ms. ancientgimp's Aero Z Series 1 to accommodate the ZX-1...

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...&postcount=481

Wheel Lock Mounted Remote Switch Mod

Link to a related post about an inexpensive way to modify the Out-Front composite wheel locks offered by TiLite to be able to mount a switch on SmartDrives that have an input jack installed on the battery unit (The input jack is a custom mod for the SmartDrive at that time of this post).

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...3&postcount=18

Last edited by SCI_OTR; 06-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.