Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So you are thinking about using a ZX-1, SmartDrive, or Firefly on a TiLite chair...

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    ...clip...they said it was the manufacturer, talking about SmartDrive here, that wanted the aluminum camber tube...
    Someone else said the guy in the video was tooling around with a broken carbon fiber camber tube. So I bet the statement did not mean to exclude titanium, they just did not mention it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Beach Mobility website has 6 mph as speed.

I was originally leaning towards the ZX1 because it would be better on grass and other non-paved ground and give me enough control to get in and out of my van independently. Strikes against it are where do I keep it to store and charge and if it breaks down or runs out of power I would need a strong able bodied person to get it back to my van,home etc. The slow speed of the new model got me to start thinking about the SmartDrive.

I had originally not given the SmartDrive serious consideration because I would not be able to independently attach and detach it from my chair. Then I had the thought that I don't really need to be able to if I leave it on all the time and have a thin rope or bungee cord attached to it and the rigidizer bar to lift the drive wheels off the floor to hang when I am inside, as SCI OTR has suggested before. Indoors on smooth floors the extra weight should not be too much of a problem and outdoors I can use the SmartDrive so the weight should not matter there.

By being on my chair at all times it will be ready if I am out and need to go on the lawn or up steep curbs instead of me having to anticipate what I might do and whether I should hook it on or not. I am working on arranging a demo.

I am starting the process of getting a new ZRA and will be getting the transit tie-down option, which makes the chair come with a reinforced frame. I plan to have ADI disc brakes added, so they will probably add their own camber bar instead of cutting the Tilite one. There is no mention of needing a reinforced camber bar in the SmartDrive manual if I remember correctly. Hopefully there wouldn't be problems.

I think\hope that a combination of SmartDrive, ADI brakes and freewheel will meet most of my needs the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    ....The slow speed of the new model got me to start thinking about the SmartDrive.

... Then I had the thought that I don't really need to be able to if I leave it on all the time and have a thin rope or bungee cord attached to it and the rigidizer bar to lift the drive wheels off the floor to hang when I am inside, as SCI OTR has suggested before.

I think\hope that a combination of SmartDrive, ADI brakes and freewheel will meet most of my needs the best.
    I'd be willing to bet that the controls of the ZX-1 could be reprogrammed for more speed... if you knew the right DME rep.

I've been using a Smartdrive for about three weeks now.
    Quite a bit in the house with the unit both off an on.
    When it's off the drag is negligible.
    There is really no need to bother tying it up.

I've got ADI brakes with individual hand (para) levers, a freewheel, and the smartdrive.
    It's not quite the point and go solution that the ZX-1 would be but it works great, and for me the portability is worth the trade-off.

A remote turbo switch, mounted next to one of the brake levers, lets me steer and motivate in the situations where the Smartdrive has trouble, i.e. hills or bumpy terrain.

Here's a pic from last week when I was pushing it's limits on a mountain top.

Jeff
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    ...clip...
    A remote turbo switch, mounted next to one of the brake levers, lets me steer and motivate in the situations where the Smartdrive has trouble, i.e. hills or bumpy terrain.

Here's a pic from last week when I was pushing it's limits on a mountain top.Jeff
    Jeff, where, how did you get the remote turbo switch? I was not aware they had it available yet. It seems easy enough to fabricate something, but I am leery of attaching anything to the battery during the warranty period.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Jeff, where, how did you get the remote turbo switch? I was not aware they had it available yet. It seems easy enough to fabricate something, but I am leery of attaching anything to the battery during the warranty period.
    It's just a simple push button wired in parallel with the existing switch.
    Nothing special. Just puts it where I can use it.

If I have a warranty issue I'll deal with it then.

In the meantime it makes the unit much easy to use - the street I live on has about a 5 % grade. Just enough that when steering the units sensors think that I'm trying to brake so it shuts off.
    Now I can just keep the button mashed.

I'm really impressed with the Smartdrive.
    It's really opened up a lot to me.
    I live about 8 blocks from downtown, but it's a slight uphill home and I never pushed it (tried once).
    Now it's a fun trip in the chair - just in time for summer.
    Jeff
    Doh!

Ha! you got guts! I was trying to figure out a way of attaching a long camera shutter release to it.

What happens with these things when you fall out of chair and they were running? Does chair drive away while you lie on ground? What happens when you and chair tip over, say sideways, and both you and chair are on the ground? Can these things actually run while chair is tipped over and just keep running?

Riding your chair on soft, uneven ground like grass is not the easiest thing. You can very easily hit a soft spot and front wheel sink or even hit grass that will lift rear wheel from ground. You and chair need to instantly be able to recognize this and alter your physical position to maintain balance.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Ha! you got guts! I was trying to figure out a way of attaching a long camera shutter release to it.
    I use one for the power button on my Mac mini! That would probably be easy to set up - bit of piston cable, some duct tape, a couple of cable ties... Maybe a bit of plywood to make a secure housing. Cheap, low tech, not much to go wrong, and no warranty issues!