Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bent button on quick release axle

Bent button on quick release axle

The button on one of my quick release axles got bent the other day. I'm pretty sure I know how/when, I was with my boyfriend tuesday and at one point when he was pulling the wheels out of the car to assemble the chair they were hooked on to each other and he kind of yanked at them and complained. Then later he couldn't get the wheel to lock on to the chair. I thought the button was just stuck like I had a temporary issue with a while back (that just went away on its own) so I pulled out the axle to mess with the button and realized it was bent. We managed to get the wheel on, and looking closely you can tell the button is bent slightly. Since then we haven't removed that wheel. But that prevents me from being able to go anywhere alone right now with the vehicle I usually drive.

I'm playing phone tag with the DME... I called tuesday when we noticed, but it was nearly 5. No one called me back and I kind of forgot about it wednesday since I haven't left the house since tuesday. I called yesterday afternoon and left another message, and they called me back just before 5 which I missed so I called back today and left another message.

Should I (meaning my roommate lol) try to bend the button back? Or leave it alone? I'm hoping the DME will just give me a new axle, and maybe the button can be bent back and the axle kept as a backup. But I don't want to make it worse, especially before I get a replacement or appt at the DME.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'd probably try to bend it back.

FYI, axles are $65 a pair from SportAid: http://www.sportaid.com/large-button...ase-axles.html

I try to have at least one spare axle ever since going through the agony of a bent axle after Lufthansa mangled my chair.

How long are they? I may have an extra pair I could send.

Hey Brian-
    If you have a pair of 5.5" I could use them. I am thinking of getting back into wc bb but I seemed to have lost the axles.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Thanks Katja but that's WAY out of my budget lol, I've been wanting to purchase a 20 dollar pair off ebay but haven't had the money.

Brian that would be awesome! I'll have to find my tape measure and check, thanks!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

x 2 on trying to bend it back. I would use a rubber mallot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I'd probably try to bend it back.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I don't have anything like a rubber mallot unfortunately. Since it was bent so easily I was thinking along the lines of my roommate trying to just bend it back with his hands. Like I said, not going to attempt anything though until I have a working axle so I'm safe!

The button is screwed on. Perhaps the button just got knocked off it threads. Perhaps you just need to unscrew it and screw it back in place. If not and it was bent so easily, then it should be equally easy to bend back into place.

Its definitely bent, you can see that the flat part you push down on is bent. The "stem" (not sure what to call it) is ever so slightly bent as well which I think is the cause of the problems with it getting stuck and not depressing or popping back up. And once the wheel was locked onto the chair, the button on one side was lower than the hub, and raised about the hub on the opposite instead of flush with the hub.

Theres bits of purple paint on the stem of the button as well from the spokes, so thats why I'm sure it got hooked on a spoke and yanked as the cause. I really needed to touch up the paint on my spokes anyway, my bf and roommate are rather rough with the wheels (and chair sometimes...) it really makes me cringe, but they're helping me...

FWIW, get a new set of axles before you attempt to fix what you've got. If it's destroyed in the attempt, your roommate won't feel horrible for stranding you and you still have a 3rd "spare" for emergencies.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.