Thread: Natural-fit handrims

Blog Entries

Natural-fit handrims

Looking for some opinions here, I have been using the Natural-fit handrims for over a year with the thumb guard in place because I was too lazy to go to all the work of pulling the tire off to remove it. At this point the thumb guard feels perfectly normal to me, and I wonder if anyone else has removed theirs after a year or so of use. So I'd like some opinions from folks about their experiences with removing the guards after a prolonged period.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I did exactly that with my NaturalFits w/SuperGrip. I used them with the thumb ring for nearly a year before I happened to try a set of wheels that had NF w/o a thumbring. I liked them so much I removed my own thumbrings then subsequently obtained Surges when I switched from 540s to 559s.

I happen to love Surges (sans thumbring), but from what I've read, handrim preferences vary widely. You may not like what I like.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Looking for some opinions here, I have been using the Natural-fit handrims for over a year with the thumb guard in place because I was too lazy to go to all the work of pulling the tire off to remove it. At this point the thumb guard feels perfectly normal to me, and I wonder if anyone else has removed theirs after a year or so of use. So I'd like some opinions from folks about their experiences with removing the guards after a prolonged period.
    I've been thinking along the same line as you. A few months ago I picked up a set of 26 inch Spinergy's with natural fits and the thumb rim attached, but they also had 1 3/8 tires. This weekend I finally was able to switch the tires, tubes and rim tape, so I took off the thumb strip. I left it at long tabs. It's surprising how far they set out, seems like further than normal rims. At any rate I'm not using these wheels yet, but my first impression is that I do like the feel very much. I suspect the thumb strips will be coming off the other wheels too.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Using natural fit with thumb rim for more than 2 years, and it hurt my thumb joint.

Couldn't avoid pressing my thumb too much on the thumb rim, so I order a new set of natural fit without the thumb rim on my new sun fusion 16 wheel.

My thumb position is much much "natural" than before, and no more thumb joint pain.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

took mine off after about a year and like them way better. The ring would trap snow then would be full of water. Not only that but they feel better without. Makes your chair narrower as well.

I personally like the thumb ring I have surges with the thumb ring and surges without! I still like the thumb ring

hand rims

Hello Donno,
    I removed mine because the black was wearing off. It feels fine with out the center rim. I don't miss them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the responses, I am going to remove them and do a year or so without and then make the final judgement. I have a feeling that in many cases, it is what you get used to...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    I personally like the thumb ring I have surges with the thumb ring and surges without! I still like the thumb ring
    I prefer with the thumb ring as well.

I tried without thumb ring first, and experienced thumb pain. I was surprised when I got my own set with thumb ring and never experienced that thumb pain again. In trying out the ones without the thumb ring I experienced with a couple variations of my grip, but nothing completely relieved the pain.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I looooooove the thumb ring! It is just so much easier to push.
    I am on my third pair of flexrims, which are just incredible!
    Ok, ok, I live in a country where it barely rains (dubai), so don't have the issue with the rubber getting all wet and slippery... But I honestly think iris just so much more ergonomic to push with the thumb and palm of your hands rather than to have to squeeze the rim to push...
    I took the thumb rings off my natural rims (have the thin ones and the thick ones), but found that I got terrible wrist and hand pain from having to grip the rim.

Maybe it's just me.
    Maybe the surge as a good middle ground...

I just like the flexrims...

Ps: if the flexrims rubber detaches from the rim, sugru (www.sugru.com) is the best at to fix it... Stays forever!