Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair Concert Seats Being bought by Scalpers

Angry Wheelchair Concert Seats Being bought by Scalpers

So I went to buy some tickets for Maroon 5 and Depeche Mode this Summer. Usually in the past I don't have much of a problem buying wheelchair accessible seats. However this time all the Wheelchair seats in the entire venue were gone in 2 days! Really? A quick scan of stubhub.com show that some douche bag bought up the entire section, marked up the price and is selling them to the public! I contacted the Venue and Ticketmaster and they said they have no control! What? So frustrating. I'm so frustrated but not sure what to do? Any thoughts?

Yeah that's pretty messed up.

It's just BS

The city next to us has first Fridays every month. The last few months someone has bought all the handicap buttons. My kid wanted to see one of the bands so we bought regular buttons. There was no one in the handicap section, and they would not let her in with her wheel chair.

I called the local news and they came out and they ran a nice story on the news about it.

I got an e-mail in to the the event event coordinator and the city manager about it. I don't think we will be going back...

WOW, Ticketmaster needs to put a squash on this...you have to have an actual disability to purchase those seats. Here in Florida, they state they have the right to remove you if you requested wc and do not show up in one.

People who buy those tickets are scum.

Let us know if we can help.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I recently purchased some tickets through ticketmaster (sucks that even though people that some people get them that don't need them I didn't feel right buying more than one companion seat. Harder to enjoy a trio when you have to choose one person out of a group to sit with you. Anyway they maid a point on checkout on an Internet transaction that buying handicap seats that you don't need may have consequences. I'm sure they don't enforce this and it probably won't help for this concert but I would consider getting copies of the tickets for sale and either start contacting ticketmaster concerning the buyer and/or contacting the stadium (maybe disability services) about the situation. Don't know what the result would be but if somebody buys a w/c accesable ticket from a scalper that doesn't need it while I feel bad for them getting some more people upset with the buyer may at least result in losing some sales or getting some bad reactions. Just a thought.

Immediately while they still exist, forward links of the scalped ticket prices to the owners, operators and Ticketmasters.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

On a side note, who would pay that much for Maroon 5 tickets??

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    On a side note, who would pay that much for Maroon 5 tickets??
    The scalpers thought it was a good investment.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

interesting fact sheet on ticketing and ADA compliance. It would appear that the venue is violating the act unless the concert was a sellout within the first two days.

these guidelines seem to require a system to determine a sellout before releasing accessible seats to the general public.
    http://www.ada.gov/ticketing_2010.htm
    Generally, tickets for accessible seats may not be sold to members of the general public who do not need the specific features of accessible seats. However, in three specific circumstances, unsold accessible seats may be released and sold to members of the general public:

when all non-accessible seats have been sold (excluding luxury boxes, club boxes, suites, and seats the venue holds back when declaring a sell-out); or
    when all non-accessible seats in a particular seating section have been sold, unsold accessible seats in that section may be released; or
    when all non-accessible seats in a particular price category have been sold, unsold accessible seats in that price category may be released.
    Venues must select only one of these options for declaring a sellout for an event. Another option may be selected for a different event. However, venues are not required to release accessible seats and may choose to hold back all or a portion of the remaining accessible seats.
    Last edited by Wesley; 06-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Wesley thank you for the link.