Thread: Pseudomonas Aeruginosa amp C+100,000

Blog Entries

Pseudomonas Aeruginosa amp C+100,000

I do not find any symptoms but I am positive with this bug. I use ICT and nelaton catether shows pus. At the moment no fever or chills. What I am afraid of is could this lead to kidney problems when infection goes up the kidneys when untreated?

I unfortunately get this every after two months. My infectious disease doctor has treated me with amikacide injectables (intra mascular) for two weeks and then macrodantin twice a day for a month.

During the macrodantin prophylaxis, the infection recurs again. As in the other thread, it has become cyclic. Anyone undergoing the same problem. Is there a possibility that this will lead to kidney problems. thanks in advance
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Generally you should not be treated unless you have symptoms. You are currently colonized, not infected. If symptoms should start, such as fever (which would indicate kidney involvement), then treatment would be indicated.

The only comment I would make is that if you are getting the same bacteria over and over, esp. if it is the same strain (sensitive/resistant to the same antibiotics) you should also be evaluated for urinary stones (common with pseudomonas) or prostatitis.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    I do not find any symptoms but I am positive with this bug. I use ICT and nelaton catether shows pus. At the moment no fever or chills. What I am afraid of is could this lead to kidney problems when infection goes up the kidneys when untreated?

I unfortunately get this every after two months. My infectious disease doctor has treated me with amikacide injectables (intra mascular) for two weeks and then macrodantin twice a day for a month.

During the macrodantin prophylaxis, the infection recurs again. As in the other thread, it has become cyclic. Anyone undergoing the same problem. Is there a possibility that this will lead to kidney problems. thanks in advance
    If I am reading the title of your thread correctly the +100,000 refers to CFU, colonizing forming units of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, identified in a culture & sensitivity urine test. Many urologist who treat spinal cord injured patients prefer to start treating a urinary tract infection at 100,000 CFU or below, while they may not start antibiotic treatment at the level in an able bodied patient, especially in the absence of symptoms.

What I find troublesome in your comments is that even when you are taking prophylactic macordantin, you are experiencing "break through" urinary tract infections of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. I would suspect antibiotic resistance and that is not good. Talk to your infectious disease physician about the possibility of intravenous antibiotics administered at home.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    thanks KLD and GJ for the responses
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Let us know what you find out and how you are doing.
    CKF