Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are You Para/Quad & Work Full Time? Please Answer These Questions.

I've been working full time 19 years and I'm 20 years post injury and I'm a T4,5,6 incomplete.
    I work a minimum of 40 hours a week and a max. of 50 hrs Mon. thru Friday. I get up every morning either at 4am or 5am (every other day BP routine) and I'm usually in bed between 10 & 10:30 at night.
    The only time I get a headache is when my allergies are acting up, so getting up early shouldn't have anything to do with your headaches.

My place of work is pretty accessible and I sometimes have to go out into our shop area to discuss manufacturing issues. I work for a large (over 350 employees) manufacturing company that ships worldwide. The only problems I have ever so often is when some asshat decides he needs the handicap stall in the bathroom instead of one of the AB stalls, but I usually give them hell about it and have broken several from doing so.

IMO the working environment would be a better place and the acceptance of the disabled would be more excepted if more of the disabled would work than live off the government.

I wish you the best and for all our sake keep working!
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    IMO the working environment would be a better place and the acceptance of the disabled would be more excepted if more of the disabled would work than live off the government.
    I have to agree ... just wish chairs were available to me through my private insurance and government every 3 instead of 5 years. Breaking down the chair 4x's per day is rough on it and the upholstery gets all the weather elements.

In other words, I wish it was easier. I'm currently devising a letter to implore our government to allow free tuition to university/college for ONLY spinal cord injured people so it's not taken advantage of. With a 65% unemployment rate (probably more), I don't see how they can argue when I mention that there still are no treatments for paralysis .. unethical to save a person and not allow them ample opportunity to improve their lives through education.

If that had been there, I would have taken advantage.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I have to agree ... just wish chairs were available to me through my private insurance and government every 3 instead of 5 years. Breaking down the chair 4x's per day is rough on it and the upholstery gets all the weather elements.
    I break my chair down 4x a day as well and it wasn't until last Fall that I found out that my insurance thru work would pay for me a new chair every 5 years and suggest that I do so. Before then I was paying for my chairs out of pocket.

I use to work for a company that when it was raining I could call ahead and someone would open one of the doors in the shop so I could park inside without getting wet. If it started raining before time to get off work someone would pull my car inside so I could get in without getting wet. Good place bad management.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input and thoughts. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just a note...waking up with headaches is a common symptom of sleep apnea, which is much more common in people with SCI than in the AB population. Suggest you discuss this with your provider and consider having a sleep study done.

(KLD)
    SCI Nurse, after doing some reading on apnea, and matching it to the symptoms I have, it does indeed sound like this might be what I have. I will be getting it checked out asap. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    ...You might also want to check into how much caffeine you are drinking. Changes in your caffeine intake could set off headaches, especially if you changed your routine.

It does sound like this could be a sleep issue though. Beyond sleep apnea, some people are prone to headaches from fatigue. I am one of those people. I get migraines headaches and certain things trigger them, including lack of sleep, caffeine...

People have varying degrees of success with these pills.

I hope this gets resolved quickly because I know how debilitating headaches can be. Best of luck!
    @NikkiMaya.... Thanks for these. When i think about it, the 2 things that have changed for me the past few months has been my caffeine intake and getting less sleep. I was never a coffee person, but I seemed to start recently getting hooked, when I saw what it was doing to my energy levels. But I was averaging between 1-3 cups/day. And when I hear people say they do 5 or more cups everyday, I think mine is moderate. But I will watch it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Are you going to bed worrying about your job?

Do wake up in the middle of nightmares about your job?

If so, these might be stress headaches about the job.
    Nope, nope nope. I often wake up in the middle of the night, but not worrying about nothing.I have just been a very terrible and poor sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    also, why does it take you so long to get ready in the morning? is it your bowel program? can you switch it to at night? how long is your commute? can you ask to work remotely from home on some days to give yourself a rest?
    Yes, my BP is the guilty party here. I initially tried doing it at night, but found I was often too tired from a long day to start doing my BP. So it has to be in the morning.

My job don't allow me work remotely, sadly.

How long have you been working full time? = injured 28 years working full time last 22 years, had some time off after my injury to go to college and adapt the direction of my life.

I really have not encountered any workplace issues related to my disability. I have hit some frustrations along the way but they seem small compared to some of the stories I have heard from friends. I did work for a firm in CT for a few years and the building mgr tore out the wheelchair ramp to rebuild it but never told my employer this was in the plans so I rolled up to find it gone one day but honestly found that to be more funny than something to take offense at.

Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Howdy, these questions are for para's, or maybe even quads, who have a full time 8/9-5 job mon-fri.

1. How long have you been working full time?

2. How long did it take between when you were injured and when you went (back) to work, or even if for the first time?

3.What difficulties/challenges did/do you endure, physically with having to put that amount of pressure on your body everyday?

1. 31 years
    2. 1978 til 1981
    3. when i started in 1981, I had a bed in my van, so I took my daily lunch 30 minutes and went out and laid down to get off my butt, after several months my butt got used to the daily routine

and with the caffeine you mentioned, i only drink pepsis, about 6 to 10 cans a day
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post

and with the caffeine you mentioned, i only drink pepsis, about 6 to 10 cans a day

Wow, that's a lot of sugar!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post

Wow, that's a lot of sugar!
    probably what keeps me going ;> and maybe why i'm so sweet ;>>
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Just saw this today, felt compelled to answer because I'm struggling with a decision to back off a little.

1. How long have you been working full time?
    I've been working full time, 8-5 for 29 years at three different jobs. A bank for 10 years, County government for 2 years and city government for the last 17 years.
    2. How long did it take between when you were injured and when you went (back) to work, or even if for the first time?
    I started working full time about 10 months after my injury in 1983.
    3.What difficulties/challenges did/do you endure, physically with having to put that amount of pressure on your body everyday? And I don't mean things like an accessible workplace, but more of did such "stress" have any impact on your body? or on you?
    The biggest impact was on my shoulders and elbows transferring in and out of bed, shower and car every day and breaking down the chair to stow in the back seat. Totally ruined my arms and now use a power chair and a ceiling lift to remain single and independent.
    3b. How did/do you deal with that difficulty?
    Started using a power chair, etc. last year, but still live independently. Work seems to motivate me because I can contribute something to my community as a grant writer and project manager. I have self worth by working full time but needed to adjust how I live by adding some assitive devices.

It's not easy to adjust, but I'd rather work for my own gratification and peace of mind. My goal is to make it 3 more years until I retire. At c 5/6 it's really a hassle lately with worn out arms, but working helps me forget about my limited abilities.