Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had success with pain management?

Hi everyone, Thanks for your input. Of all the things suggested, the tincture is the only one I haven't tried. Sounds promising as I used to smoke pot but got that paradoxical effect of more pain and fogged brain.
    Right now I wear a Butrans patch (10mcg/hr) and take 15 mg oxycodone (split in half, twice a day). I was able to get away from the pain with larger doses of Methadone and Oxycontin but got into psychological trouble so have I've tried really hard to keep the meds to a minimum. Which means living with more pain. Which means eroding the quality of my life.
    I like your definition of pain management success, Arndog:
    1. wanting to wake up the next day, greet the day, and do it again.
    2. Being capable of performing some activities without being distracted by pain such as work, exercise, maybe even fun.
    3. Not having pain destroy your relationship with others - family, friends, spouses.
    4. Not going crazy

Number one is to look forward to another day. That has been eluding me. So, I'll get in touch with the pain doc for credentials and head off to the dispensary. Thanks for all your good advice. Linda

Please don't make fun of me but what is a tincture? I am seriously wanting to try marijuna again for pain. The first time it made me crack up at everything but at the same time my pain was unbelievable. So weird.

If I'm in a non medical marijuna state then how do I get something so specific?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Smoking some strains can aggravate the pain.
    Avoid strains that cause a big rush like the dopers look for.
    My grower supplies one called "blue dream" comes on mellow.

But generally I avoid the smoking and start the day with some THC tincture in my coffee.
    I've found that the effective dose is below that which causes impairment.

In the evenings or when I get to really hurting - a cookie made with canna butter will always knock down the pain.
    The relief with the cookie does come with some side effects, but they are only temporary.

Jeff
    I'm trying to find a strain that doesn't aggravate my pain. So far I haven't been successful. I've tried chem dog, trainwreck and can't think of
    the other one. Weed does help me sleep however and is great before sex

I'm hoping that the THC tincture that can be found at the Medical Marijuana dispensaries will be made from the strain that that gives pain relief without so much dopiness. I used to smoke it then realized it was making my situation harder. I've heard the liquid tincture works well for pain without the side effects common to pharmaceuticals. First I need to get a Rx from my pain doctor to be eligible to buy it at the dispensary.

PS I don't know how you would go about procuring it in a state that doesn't provide for medical marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    ... what is a tincture?
    If I'm in a non medical marijuna state then how do I get something so specific?
    A tincture is made by soaking pot in alcohol (I use gin) for a couple weeks in a dark cool place (I put it in the freezer).
    Then the liquid is strained off.

It is as simple as that.

It can then be heated to reduce it down some but I don't bother with that step.

I make it from the 'shake', i.e. the trimmings that are normally thrown away.

The effects are totally different from smoking.
    Subtle yet effective.

I haven't noticed much difference between the strains that I've used.

Jeff
    Doh!

[QUOTE=dragon fly;1704350]Hi everyone, Thanks for your input. Of all the things suggested, the tincture is the only one I haven't tried.

Hi, have you tried a vaporizer? It's the only way besides edibles that I use. No smell, no carcinagins, very easy to regulate amount needed, uses very little weed (about half) This is a very healthy and effective way for me to medicate , quit all my other pain meds 9 months ago gabapentin and lyrica, now I'm awake all day and have an appetite. Lots of info @ fc vaporizer forum I use the "ariser solo" vape and sometimes I vape thru water(vaporbonging) makes it even smoother. Good luck finding relief!

trying to find pain doctor?

hi iam in struggle right now with my pain it gets so bad were i can not function wa state is so bad for pain management exp if your on medicaid does anyone out there know any pain docs or pain clinics that are legiate that care about you as a person when your in pain ???? thanks need a reply pls

Hey JeffH,
    Thanks for the recipe for tincture. Good to know you can make it at home but I guess I don't understand the final product. I thought a tincture was a liquid that you'd use an eye dropper to squirt some into your coffee or under your tongue or wherever. So when you say "then the liquid is strained off" you mean that the liquid is separated from the shake and becomes the tincture. (ok I had to read this a couple times to "get" it.) Once prepared, how much do you use for a dose and how much alcohol do you use per gram (or whatever) of pot? If you freeze the concoction for 2 weeks are the results the same? I will try this before going to the pot store.

WillVape, Yes I've used a vaporizer before but maybe because of the strain of pot I have, I can easily get wigged out and perceive more pain. Agreed it is a far healthier way than smoking.

painelizabeth30, I really understand where you're coming from. I've spent 75% of this day reeling from the pain - it interferes with everything I do. My pain doctor's specialty is Palliative Care - that's end of life care where they try to keep the patient as comfortable as possible w/o worrying about addiction issues (compassionate care). Because of her work, she is an expert on psycho-pharmacology and does pain management as well. Maybe you can look into that specialty for a Pain Manager. Meanwhile, I've found that when the pain is so bad, I can't do anything else anyway, I focus my mind on the pain. It seems counter-intuitive but if I can "listen" to my pain, accept it the best I can and relax, I'm able to see that it is not infinite and if I don't clinch all my muscles every time it comes on, I'm a little more comfortable. Good luck, I wish I had more to offer.

Linda

You have to find that one thing that helps. It is trial and error with alot of things.

The increase in burning is directly related to stress, humidity, and other outside factors. Or that has been my experience. I have learned how to use distractions and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which does help on really bad days.

You have to just try everything until you find what works for you. It sounds like a broken record but that is the only thing you can do. It is different for everyone.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown