Thread: Blood in Urine

Blood in Urine

Hi,

For the past 3 days i've had discolored urine (pink to reddish brown) and am wondering what this could be as its never happened before. The discolored urine has been accompanied by fatigue, aches, and a swollen left foot/ankle. The swelling is normal in the heat of summer, but its normally both feet, so not sure why only the left.

I'm a healthy (normally) C6 quad and been injured since 2008. 6 weeks ago I was on 10 day cycle of antibiotics for a UTI and finished the entire dosage. I thought I had it cleared up, but maybe not. I use an intermittent catheter approx 6 times a day. I'm trying to schedule an appointment with my urologist for tomorrow. Any thoughts or remedies?

Thanks!

maybe a different anitbotics, make sure your urologist does a test on a sample to see what is needed
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Get a culture and sensitivity analysis as soon as possible. If there is blood and symptoms possibly the old bug came back or you have a new one. If its a bug, treat it once you know what it is sensitive to. Others will chip in with more technical advise, but I would not put off the culture.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    Get a culture and sensitivity analysis as soon as possible. If there is blood and symptoms possibly the old bug came back or you have a new one. If its a bug, treat it once you know what it is sensitive to. Others will chip in with more technical advise, but I would not put off the culture.
    That about says it all! Except with blood in your urine you should get to your doctor or an urgent care center and start the C&S as soon as possible! I do not recommend an ER unless you are running a temp.

The culture takes one to three days, so that puts you possibly four of five days into what could develop into a bad UTI or worse.

It wouldn't hurt to keep some urine test strips (dipstick) around. They can detect a possible problem, but are not especially accurate (I've had false negatives, which is worse than a false positive).

In the meantime, I hope you are drinking plenty of water.

I hope it is idiopathic hematuria, but I doubt it.

Feel better soon!

Note:
    I am not a medical professional, just sharing my experience.
    Last edited by chris-k; 06-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.

If you don't have bright red urine, or big clots, and do not have a fever, you are probably OK to not go to the ER right now, but you should call your urologist in the AM. Many urologists want to scope anyone who has had hematuria. They should also order another urine culture. You may have a hemorrhagic cystitis.

Have you also had recent tests for urinary stones? This should be done annually. Stones can cause urinary tract bleeding, and can protect bacteria from antibiotics. If you have stones, they need to come out.

(KLD)