Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair skills video

You tube is great. It was around when I was injured and its been very helpful. In rehab they tried to show me a really screwy way to get back in a chair from the ground. I asked the PT to so me and she could not do it without using her legs, but you tube fixed me right up. Thanks for posting the videos.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I can totally understand Grommet. We are both 50, and neither my husband using a chair or I as a care partner can take some of the same bumps and bruises anymore. Call it maturing, or loosing our sense of immortality, the end result is the same. Time to take more care, and not be as reckless as we once were. It's a hard pill to swallow, but a needed one. Yeah, your girlfriend just may be right.... Shit!

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    You're welcome. I don't know how sore that guy got but when I tried wheelying down some stairs fast besides the bloodstain in the left sleeve of my shirt, my elbow didn't stop hurting for about three months. I got pretty banged up learning chair skills but I was so driven nothing would stop me. Now two things stop me - getting older and knowing being hurt takes way too long to heal and, chairs are expensive. Being old I feel like slow and steady wins the race. I can't believe I just said that. I said an actual old person thing. A few months ago my girlfriend called the both of us "mature", I could have killed her for that. Shit, she may be right. :-)
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks for the Wheelchair skills video. Gonna share it with my buddies.
    L1 Burst Fracture Incomplete
    19th February 1998
    TiLite ZRA Series 2 01/31/2011
    New Design Back Hardware replaced by TiLite 03/28/2011

YouTube rocks. Do you have any videos on their? I started putting use up along time ago. Check out my account. http://www.youtube.com/user/rybread6. I have a few things uploaded. Enjoy
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    A guy could break his neck doing crazy stuff like this.

Here is some really crazy stuff. Don't try this at home.

Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

Really informative...I don't think I have the nerve to try the esculator and the James Brown video was super!

Nah! Looking at it incorrectly. Chair or no chair, a lot of these things never went through before 1X in your life. Probably not see from someone else. It is all about learning. Since never seen or tried, how are you going to know how to do? "Scare" has huge impact. If can get past scare, via multiple repetition try/do, the thought will become 2nd nature in brain.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I can totally understand Grommet. We are both 50, and neither my husband using a chair or I as a care partner can take some of the same bumps and bruises anymore. Call it maturing, or loosing our sense of immortality, the end result is the same. Time to take more care, and not be as reckless as we once were. It's a hard pill to swallow, but a needed one. Yeah, your girlfriend just may be right.... Shit!

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    YouTube rocks. Do you have any videos on their? I started putting use up along time ago. Check out my account. http://www.youtube.com/user/rybread6. I have a few things uploaded. Enjoy
    Thanks for the link to your Youtube videos. Cute kid :-)
    I do have videos uploaded to Youtube but I made them Private a while ago, after I was getting too many unhappy comments. I wish the folks who liked them had said a little more. Me and my girlfriend made the videos I wished had been on Youtube, just showing regular life with a chair, like you did, and I made some skills videos. Those last ones from a while ago but they'd probably still be useful to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by cbdives View Post
    Really informative...I don't think I have the nerve to try the esculator and the James Brown video was super!
    Escalators are incredibly easy. I was terrified to ride one the first time. Then I figured out how it worked. I think it's safer than just about anything else. Your casters are caught by the step above and mostly lock you in place. You need to get your timing right when getting on and off and also make the decision ahead of time that you know the escalator could stop and you would need to get yourself down. Going backward down escalator steps would be rougher than regular steps but I think it would work out alright. If you are interested in learning to do it, I would recommend going with a friend who uses a chair for support. I just studied what other people did and then scared out of my mind just went for it on a short section. So much easier than I thought but, you decide your own risks.

Quote Originally Posted by QTiPi View Post
    .. another PT told me, after I lost the strength to transfer independently by standing, that my ultralight was not compatible with transfer boards and I would have to switch back to a hospital clunker. ...
    I'm curious why your PT would say not to use a transfer board with an ultralight?