Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In hospital with pneumonia

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Really sorry to hear that you have had another complication. Wish you could catch a break here and have a good run for at least a few months.

I know it sounds tempting to go on prophylactic antibiotics to help prevent urinary tract infections, but the risks are great that you can/will develop antibiotic resistant bacteria, and then where would you be, with only limited antibiotics available to treat infections.

Any time you develop urinary tract infections, one right after another, it is a good idea to call in an infectious disease doctor. You have got to be careful, now that you are in the hospital, that you don't get slammed with a hospital acquired infection. I have read a resent study about the best way to try to avoid the hospital acquired infections like MRSA, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Bathe daily, wash hands often, and swab the nose, daily, with Neosporin ointment.

Take care and get out of the hospital, ASAP.

All the best,
    GJ
    I'll have to get some neosporin ASAP and start swabbing. Thanks GJ!

I'd also ask your pulmonologist or respiratory therapist about the effect different pain meds have on your respiratory strength. Many pain meds suppress your respiration.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

So sorry to hear of this!
    It's close to home as I crashed with pneumonia in '09 after decades of good health. (Paralyzed from neuro.cond.)
    It all started with severe sore throat and overnight turned into coughing then my inability to cough. At hospital I was given a trach and a respirator, with all antibiotics known to man. They didn't figure out what kind of pneumonia I had. I had previously had vaccination.
    Took 5 months to finally get out of 3rd hospital/nursing home. Had other, major complications develop. Toward the end they doubled my dose of Vancomycin and that finally helped me get rid of the dreaded, debilitating, C-Diff.
    Since then I sleep and nap with bi-pap machine. Doing fine now.

I follow up with pulmonologist on regular basis - never had before but should have had evaluation done.
    Suggest you and family members stay in close touch with health care staff regarding your needs and issues.
    Best to you!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this. You have had one thing after another! I hope it gets better soon ... best get sorted while in hospital.
    Thanks, Lynnifer!

They took a sputum sample after I'd been on abx for a few days and the culture grew out negative, just normal flora.

However, I keep spiking fevers and when I cough up the sputum deep from my lungs it is dark yellow/discolored indicating infection and I developed severe spasms on Thursday and an increase in neuro pain, so I know there is an active infection. My cough is awful.

They say there may be a mucus plug not an infection. But that would not be causing these symptoms would they?

Mucus plug is what got me the trach and respirator. Maybe they have meds or treatment to resolve yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, poor oral hygiene has been associated with acquired pneumonia, esp. in those who are at risk for aspiration. In the hospital, it is now routine for patients on ventilators, with trachs, and with other known aspiration risks to have oral care done every 4 hours using an oral antiseptic (either H202 or CHX), with teeth brushing done at least 2X daily, and the antiseptic swabbed inside the mouth at the other 4 times daily. This has decreased HAP (hospital acquired pneumonia) significantly when done as a regular routine.

(KLD)
    Aye! They did this routinely to me when hospitalized with Septic Shock. I had a slight Pneumonia and was on a vent, so they must have done all those swabs for that purpose. Interesting to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    I never thought I could f feel so bad. I am currently on vancomycin and cefzim. I had my pneumonia vvaccine but they Said that wouldn't prevent this type of pneumonia. I'm a T3 so it's hard for me to cough up the stuff. There's a big pocket down in my left lung.

Jason
    I hope you feel better soon. Bacterial infections cannot be prevented by vaccinations, but it works for the viral form.

Jason-
    I hope that you are doing better. I don't know much more to add.
    CKF

I had pneumonia caused by MRSA, a nasty antibiotic-resistant strain, and it can be deadly. It came on overnight. I was in hospital for two weeks, then in a nursing home on IV antibiotics for a week, then in the hospital rehab unit getting PT for another week. That was in February and I'm still dealing with coughing and mucous that's hard to cough up. I'm wondering when or if I will ever get back to normal. I am L1 para, 64.