Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In hospital with pneumonia

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Finally feel better enough this evening to actually use the computer. Last night and this morning I thought I was on my way to ICU I felt so bad.

Thanks Tonja.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You should be evaluated for swallowing problems (dysphagia) if they think you may have an aspiration pneumonia. In addition, poor oral care is a risk factor for non-ventilator associated pneumonia. Have you been brushing your teeth at least 3X daily? Did you also have a flu shot? Are you smoking?

(KLD)
    I will ask the IMS doctor tomorrow if I have aspiration pneumonia or what type of pneumonia I have, if not him then the pulmonologist will visit tomorrow and he will know what type for sure.

I have not been brushing my teeth 3X/day, I usually brush every couple days. Gross, I know. If I'm going out, I'll just use mouthwash. Could the teeth brushing be a contributing factor to pneumonia, and any other infections that I've had over the past 8 months? C. Diff (which I know now was related to not taking a probiotic and taking lots of antibiotics), Cellulitis, lots of UTIs (which I know now some of the reasons why I've been getting these -- holding urine in my bladder too long, holding too much urine in my bladder, and having high pressure bladder)

I did have a flu shot around the same time as the pneumonia shot, the GP recommended I get both due to the SCI. I do not smoke.

Thanks, KLD!

I had a nasty bout last October. It was a type related to the Legionnaires disease which the pneumonia vaccine does not protect against. I was never pumped so full of antibiotics as I was then. I had to be suctioned a few times. But I did survive and had pretty much returned to normal after about a month. As other have said, that was my first and and I hope last bout. Pure hell. I hope you have a quick recovery.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Yes, poor oral hygiene has been associated with acquired pneumonia, esp. in those who are at risk for aspiration. In the hospital, it is now routine for patients on ventilators, with trachs, and with other known aspiration risks to have oral care done every 4 hours using an oral antiseptic (either H202 or CHX), with teeth brushing done at least 2X daily, and the antiseptic swabbed inside the mouth at the other 4 times daily. This has decreased HAP (hospital acquired pneumonia) significantly when done as a regular routine.

(KLD)

Yes, poor oral hygiene has been associated with acquired pneumonia, esp. in those who are at risk for aspiration. In the hospital, it is now routine for patients on ventilators, with trachs, and with other known aspiration risks to have oral care done every 4 hours using an oral antiseptic (either H202 or CHX), with teeth brushing done at least 2X daily, and the antiseptic swabbed inside the mouth at the other 4 times daily. This has decreased HAP (hospital acquired pneumonia) significantly when done as a regular routine.

(KLD)
    Really sorry to hear that you have had another complication. Wish you could catch a break here and have a good run for at least a few months.

I know it sounds tempting to go on prophylactic antibiotics to help prevent urinary tract infections, but the risks are great that you can/will develop antibiotic resistant bacteria, and then where would you be, with only limited antibiotics available to treat infections.

Any time you develop urinary tract infections, one right after another, it is a good idea to call in an infectious disease doctor. You have got to be careful, now that you are in the hospital, that you don't get slammed with a hospital acquired infection. I have read a resent study about the best way to try to avoid the hospital acquired infections like MRSA, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Bathe daily, wash hands often, and swab the nose, daily, with Neosporin ointment.

Take care and get out of the hospital, ASAP.

All the best,
    GJ

(KLD)
    Well I never heard that before. Glad I practice good oral hygiene!

PDF with more of the same related to KLD's post:

http://www.in.gov/fssa/files/aspirat...evention_3.pdf

Sorry dude. My hubby just got out for the same. he's still at home on an IV . Careful with that Vanco. My husband has ringing in his ears now and I'm trying to figure out what to do from here..... Get better !!!!!!!!!!

Glad your feeling a little better and starting to figure some medical stuff out. Hopefully it will help you stay much improved in the future. This SCI shit seems to require a crap load of discipline an constant vigil.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Yeah, every time I go the dental hygienist I get a lecture about brushing and flossing. I don't floss and only brush every other day; I used to do that stuff but just get tired of all the stuff involved in just life so I cut out some things. But I do have to go three times a year for cleaning so I do hear her lectures three times a year. I never heard not brushing can cause pneumonia, one of the few problems I haven't had so far (I can cough nearly normally though, so I am probably not at risk).

My hygienist would jump for joy if she heard not brushing can cause pneumonia, she loves to deliver speeches about the importance of constant brushing and flossing; the last few years she has emphasized it is important in preventing heart infections. (To be fair she is an excellent and conscientious hygienist, it's just that dental hygienists can get a bit wrapped up in their profession).

(KLD)
    I think mine started with bronchitis at home - I was feeling that tight "spastic" feeling I get when I know something ain't right. I had a slight cough every know and again but that was it. When I came to the hospital it got worse. I thought it was a severe UTI because I had a lot of pus in my urine but I had just had botox in my bladder a few days before and the urologist said that's a side effect and should go away.