Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've done the exercise walking now

I dont see how 666 alone will help a walking incomplete with demyelinated nerves.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    I dont see how 666 alone will help a walking incomplete with demyelinated nerves.
    Because maybe axons aren't chronically demyelinated?
    1. J Neurosci. 2008 Apr 9;28(15):3887-96. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4756-07.2008. No evidence for chronic demyelination in spared axons after spinal cord injury in a mouse. Lasiene J, Shupe L, Perlmutter S, Horner P. Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA. The pattern of remyelination after traumatic spinal cord injury remains elusive, with animal and human studies reporting partial to complete demyelination followed by incomplete remyelination. In the present study, we found that spared rubrospinal tract (RST) axons of passage traced with actively transported dextrans and examined caudally to the lesion 12 weeks after mouse spinal cord contusion injury were fully remyelinated. Spared axons exhibited a marginally reduced myelin thickness and significantly shorter internodes. CASPR (contactin-associated protein) and K(v)1.2 channels were used to identify internodes and paranodal protein distribution properties were used as an index of myelin integrity. This is the first time the CNS myelin internode length was measured in a mouse. To better understand the significance of shortened internodes and thinner myelin in spared axons, we modeled conduction properties using McIntyre's et al. model of myelinated axons. Mathematical modeling predicted a 21% decrease in the conduction velocity of remyelinated RST axons attributable to shortened internodes. To determine whether demyelination could be present on axons exhibiting a pathological transport system, we used the retroviral reporter system. Virally delivered green fluorescent protein unveiled a small population of dystrophic RST axons that persist chronically with evident demyelination or abnormal remyelination. Collectively, these data show that lasting demyelination in spared axons is rare and that remyelination of axons of passage occurs in the chronically injured mouse spinal cord.

I was constantly in either inpatient or outpatient PT the first 10 years. Most of that was 5 days a week for 3 hours and occasionaly 6 week sessions ata local therapeutic pool. I have a nice clean injury. No detethering or decompression needed. I'm an incomplete ASIA B/C due to an ischemic infarct at C6.

I'd say we've been sold a lousy bill of goods for at least the last 20 years. Almost every single lab in this country seems to be trying to cure demyelination. I was under the impression that volitional movement requires an intact cortical neuropathway. In my case all the PT in the world will not give me back my truck muscles.

Maybe it's time to let the poor mice go because they are not going to lead to us standing much less walking with the current interventions.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Because maybe axons aren't chronically demyelinated?
    Thanks for the input crabbyshark, i really appreciate it. i have to admit that most of the scientific info presented here often goes way over my head.

I had been under the impression that since i'm up and walking?(with a walker & increasing difficulty and pain) that i may just need remyelination treatment. heck i've been injured for 23 yrs and throughout those yrs i've had surprising returns, the last thing was bowel in 2007. makes me wonder what i would need to get better.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I'd say we've been sold a lousy bill of goods for at least the last 20 years. Almost every single lab in this country seems to be trying to cure demyelination. I was under the impression that volitional movement requires an intact cortical neuropathway. In my case all the PT in the world will not give me back my truck muscles.

Maybe it's time to let the poor mice go because they are not going to lead to us standing much less walking with the current interventions.
    I couldnt agree with you more. i always thought remyelination would do wonders for me, now i just dont know anymore.

back to the drawing board.

maybe Mesenchymal stem cells(MSC) are it??????
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-

<----Scott Weiland---->

Sue, how can I talk with you other than these messages? I am limited to 1000 letters and have many more for suggestion. To me, what I have read so far, it sounds like you are trying to take too big of a step forward and there definitely parts of puzzle not ready. Your eyes and brain do not think are running concurrent with what your body yet capable. If you can find the holding point, you can work on it ad attempt to move forward. This is what I am saying in too big of a step forward. You need to have all above the waist ready to move below it. This includes strength. You have mind and body structure of adult and probably strength less than infant in others. Well neurological must be changed to recognize this.

Sorry. I missed the pool. Sue, were you ever in a pool, lying on back and ONLY supported by foam float(s)? NOBODY, NOTHING touching your legs?

What were you able to do in the pool? What if you closed your eyes and tried to execute something?
    Last edited by rlmtrhmiles; 06-03-2013 at 07:15 AM.

I was in therapy a little over 1 year ago where they had a company come in and build custom braces for each leg. Foot to groin. No ankle movement. Lockable knee. They wanted me to walk like Frankenstein. Basically I think getting hip area doing things correctly. Would have never had ankle movement with these. They were so heavy and smashed at knees, I got pissed and quit. HOWEVER, since I could not even do the Frankenstein, this was where I somehow came up with idea they were jumping too far ahead in the process. Maybe strength. Maybe neurological. Whatever. This was where I tossed them out the door and moved to do it myself.

Are you working back towards those braces rlmtrhmiles?

HELL NO! On those braces. I was saying that as something was done/tried with me.
    I HATED THEM! They were custom molded. Came in and put stuff on each leag that took shape of leg. Then they went and manufactured the braces. They cost almost $6k. WHAT REALLY SAYING IS braces were even TOO FAR of a jump forward. They did nothing to evaluate strength of leg to even see if I could move with weight of brace.