Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No luck on a new tire yet!

No luck on a new tire yet!

I'm really getting pissed off at these people. I'm trying to tires from the same place that I got this chair from, which is the same place my new chair is coming from, which is the closest wheelchair place in my area.

They didn't call me back yesterday. I called at 8:30 this morning, and the woman that answers the phone said the guy was leaving for an appointment and she'd have him call me when he got back.

By 3pm he hadn't called, so I called back. The woman said he wasn't coming back to the office. I asked if there was any way she could get ahold of him, explained that this was kind of an emergency since I have a blown tire and I can't go anywhere until I get it fixed. I told her again what I wanted, and she said she'd call him on his cell phone and call me back.

I explained to her that I was getting a new chair from them soon and I'm keeping my old tires for spares, so I wanted to put solid tires on them instead of pneumatic.

She calls back and said that the solid tires will add weight to my chair, I told her I know that and I'm not worried about it. She gave me a price for solid inserts. I told her again that I needed solid tires not inserts. She said she'd have to call him back and look in the books.

She calls back and said the guy told her they don't make solid tires for Spinergy wheels. I told her that I was looking at some on the internet right now that will fit spinergy's and gave her the name.

This is what I found.

She calls back and said they can't get them, that I'd have to get the solid inserts and gives me the price again. Once again I explain that I will still need new tires even if I get solid inserts, and I asked if there was a way I could get them tomorow, either by them delivering them or me coming to pick them up. She said they'd have to charge a service fee to deliver. I asked if I could come get them, I forget what she said, but she sounded clueless. She said she'd get the guy to call me in the morning and I could discuss it with him.

We don't have a bicycle shop, but I don't think bicycle tires will fit these rims (24x1 3/8).

Anyway since I found a solid tire on the internet, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and order it. I don't know how to get these tires off these wheels. When I had a flat a year ago I couldn't get them off. Also I don't know how to install a solid tire either.

I've got to get something done soon, I can't keep riding around on a flat tire, and if I don't get it fixed by next week, I'll be stuck here for Christmas since were doing Christmas at my sisters.

EDIT:

I called a bicycle shop that's an hours drive from here. They have tires and tubes that will fit. Tires are $20 each and tubes are $5.
    _____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

[This message was edited by jimnms on 12-15-04 at 06:04 PM.]

probably easier to look for 540mm tires which is found also on british Juvenile bicycle,

In the future, I would always keep a set of spare tires in the closet. I keep a set of rims with tires, but also some spare tires/tubes in a milk crate. If you supply the parts, any bike shop can mount up the tires (if you cannot). Sounds like you're on the track to doing that now. Everyone should keep a few tires/tubes lying around "just in case..."

Building a house; check it out

Sorry for your mistreatment, such treatment is why my father and I started a supplies company, and we do durable goods as well. They do have solid tires for the spinergy wheels.
    If you were to buy the solid tires I'd recommend mako but it depends on your preference. Furthermore a bike shop can get those installed without a problem, and most do it free or for 5 bucks.

Either way we could help you. If you are interested in working with us my information can be found in the following leak. Sorry again for your grieve and good luck with your tires.

Jeff Sirko (c-6 inc.)
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37908

I found solid ties by Mako, but they are 24x1" and the spinergy uses 24x1 3/8. Also from the picture it doesn't look like they have tread on them.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I've called again this morning, and if they don't call back by noon I'm going to go ahead go get something cheap from the bicycle shop and order some solid tires for later to use as spares.

Jeff, what is your price on the KiK Mako or Everyday solid tires?
    _____

man, always keep a couple sets of tires and tubes. i can get about 4mths out a set of primo all terrain tires on my spinergys

jim fyi, brakes dont hold well on solid tires

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Jim, I needed tires in a jiffy, couldn't find them in the bike stores, so I just went ahead and ordered them from the net. My DME provider wanted a small fortune for the tires, and I couldn't get an appointment at Colours for their Friday clincs for 3 weeks. I had to pay extra for the expedited shipping, but it was worth it.

I finally got ahold of the wheelchair vendor. I asked for a quote on a pair of the cheapest tires and a couple of tubes. I'll get the solids later to put on the old wheels after I get my new chair. Their tires are $20 each, same as the bicycle shop.

Since I gotta go the same direction to either place, it's just a matter of which place I want to give my money to. Since the wheel chair vendor took so damn getting back to me, I'm thinking of going to the bicycle shop instead, I'll need the tire changing tools anyway.

_____