Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diet and Skin Care vs Bowel

Blenders are frustrating, it is such a simple device but so hard to find one that doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I was wondering if the blender would pulverize enough. We got a new blender when we moved instead of rewiring another 220volt since our Italian espresso machine had died. Big difference in what they can do since our 1988 model. I'll try the oats next.

I love candied or chocolate dipped ginger and fresh ginger tea. It doesn't lower already low blood pressure that I know of because mine hangs around 90/60 too whether I drink the fresh tea or not. It is used in several Asian counties to lower blood pressure though. I know some people add a handful of fine spiniach leaves for fiber but I was thinking a sprig or two of thai basil might up the zing too.

A guy who eats rhubarb pie is lecturing on the evils of banana bread? If you're into rhubarb I have a recipe for a Finnish rhubarb thick sauce that goes on ice cream, angel or pound cake or can be eaten straight up if you want. I can put it in the Food Forum tomorrow. The spouse loves rhubarb anything. I'll suggest adding the ginger boost to the pie. Crystalized will cut back on the sugar.

Vitamix. Best investment ever.

How has this bowel thread managed to make me hungry?

Costco has a good deal on the Blendtec so we have one coming. Our current generic blender is starting to squeal so not long for this world.

My wife just started us on some smoothies, not sure what all she uses, I'll ask but also show her the posted recipes.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Blenders are frustrating, it is such a simple device but so hard to find one that doesn't suck.
    Crush, kill, destroy.

Wow, Stephen! That loooks like my food processor. We have a basic Kitchenaid blender and it does just about everything including crush ice and grind most seeds.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the reminder to eat more ginger. Frankly, I've never cared for ginger candy, ginger snaps, etc -- but, I was told that ginger has a lot of medicinal value so at one point, I did try to give more ginger to my Dad -- and gotta start again since it did help.

Here's a couple of interesting tidbits from Chinese holistic folks and traditional docs:

(1) Hypothermic or Antibiotics. If you are hypothermic (my Dad is) or get cold a lot, ginger tea is recommended for warming your stomach and hence, your body.

Also, if you are taking antibiotics which may be damaging to your stomach (is it the lining?), ginger tea is recommended as being helpful.

Use "dried" ginger for your teas. I bought some organic dried ginger -- but it was kinda expensive, so I think I'll try non-organic after I run out.

(2) Cooking. To spice up bland foods, put in some finely diced or grated fresh ginger.

For example, if you make fried brown rice (and use shitake mushrooms and diced veggies/chinese kale (try this!)... sigh, instead of meat) add the finely diced ginger (instead of salt) -- stir this in towards the end of your preparation so that the ginger still has a little crunch when you serve. Gosh, I was amazed -- it added a spicy zing and was pretty good!
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 06-15-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Joey, both fresh and dried ginger tea are used for upset stomachs where other drugs may not be a good idea such as pregnant women and morning sickness or sailors/passengers and mild sea sickness. I prefer the fresh for almost everything but gingersnaps. I had never read of its use for gastritis from antibiotics but will definitely try it the next time I need them.

BTW, a marinade for swordfish or other dense fish like tuna is low salt soy sauce, lime juice and dried ginger. Marinade at least an hour or up to overnight in the fridge then grill or broil. Yummy.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hey Sue,

I just noticed that you're in Wisconsin where a lot of the American ginseng is grown. I tried a tea recipe with dried American ginseng and ginger -- it was fantastic for energy, including boosting appetite -- which my Dad really needs.

I wish that the American ginseng were cheaper.

Thanks for the fish marinade recipe -- these days, I have so little time to shop and cook that sadly, when I get fish for my Dad, it's from a can (salmon, sardines) or gel caps (fish oil). If you have a good recipe which incorporates canned fish, please let me know.

Yea, with the need for tobacco going down many smaller farmers up north started planting ginseng. We now export a lot to China too. I really wouldn't worry about American ginseng being organic or not. It's cow poop or synthetic cow poop in smaller amounts. The Chinese buy ours because it doesn't have lead in it and tastes better.

My salmon patties take longer to make and fry than it takes to grill the fish. :-) We buy our fresh fish when it goes on special sales. Sardines would probably taste good on top a side salad we make in summer. Just rough chop napa cabbage and bok choy and then toss with a bottled soy/ginger dressing. Kraft makes one that is just a tad sweet but if you add the sardines it'll probably even that out too.

You eat bok choy and napa cabbage... raw?

Do you know how to properly dry American ginseng? I am told that snow is necessary for the growth of good quality American ginseng, but hey...

For a short time a few months ago, I added some Ultimate Life to my Dad's smoothies. My Dad's skin is getting thin (he only got pressure sores at the facilities... grumble). So, if the Ultimate Life helps, I'll order a can.
    Last edited by Joey_SF; 06-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.