Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foley Cath Problem

Foley Cath Problem

So for the last two months I've had a foley cath, the first month it caused a sore on the tip of my Johnson. That healed and on May 20 a new cath was put in now for the last week or so I've been bleeding out the tip.

What could be causing the bleeding? There isn't a sore and there isn't any blood in my urine. I thought about calling the nursing company who changes it to maybe put in a new one. However next Thursday June 6 I'm going in to have an SP put in so part of my brain says why bother.

I'm SOOOOO tiered of ALL this SCI s**t..........!!!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    So for the last two months I've had a foley cath, the first month it caused a sore on the tip of my Johnson. That healed and on May 20 a new cath was put in now for the last week or so I've been bleeding out the tip.

What could be causing the bleeding? There isn't a sore and there isn't any blood in my urine. I thought about calling the nursing company who changes it to maybe put in a new one. However next Thursday June 6 I'm going in to have an SP put in so part of my brain says why bother.

The bleeding you are experiencing is probably caused by irritation to the urethra by the foley catheter. Long term use of a foley catheter in males can cause urethral erosion that eventually results in erosion of the glans, urethra, and penile skin and may lead to the need for reconstructive surgery in extreme cases. Stiff silicone catheters are often associated with irritation and bleeding, but other types of catheters can cause similar irritation and bleeding.

Since your are having a suprapubic catheter placed in a week, you have little to worry about. Meanwhile try using a little lubricant or maybe some neosporin on the end of cotton swab (Q-tip) and apply around the catheter where it comes out of the penis.

Good luck with the SP surgery. Let us know how you are doing. Talk with you doctor about using anticholinergic medications to help reduce bladder spasms after the placement of the SP catheter. Ask your doctor about how to care for the SP stoma.

All the best,
    GJ

I agree.

(KLD)

Hey Cowboy I am getting a SP on Tuesday.

Stevie P

Cowboy,
    I have been using a new type of foley called the Duette by a company called Poiesis Medical here is the website www.poiesismedical.com call them and they will send you some free samples. it is a great foley because it has 2 balloons one on the tip and one that stops it from coming out.

Here is the phone number 877.487.5740 ask for Charleen. She knows me.

Later Stevie P

Stevie, how all the h*ll are you it's been a few months. So you're going the SP route as well any particular reason?
    I'm kind of nervous about it mostly when it comes to us (mom) learning how to change one and do it in a mostly sterile fashion.

Anyhow how did you find out about these catheters? How long have you been using them, I didn't see a price how much do they cost? If

I will try to give them a call Monday or Tuesday and see what they have to say in the meantime keep me posted on your SP procedure and how everything's going and I will do the same. . Take care, Chris

Stevie, how all the h*ll are you it's been a few months. So you're going the SP route as well any particular reason?
    I'm kind of nervous about it mostly when it comes to us (mom) learning how to change one and do it in a mostly sterile fashion.

Anyhow how did you find out about these catheters? How long have you been using them, I didn't see a price how much do they cost? If

I will try to give them a call Monday or Tuesday and see what they have to say in the meantime keep me posted on your SP procedure and how everything's going and I will do the same. . Take care, Chris
    I decided to quit the IC and go with the foley about 6 months ago, I was getting so frustrated with my bladder letting go and I wanted to be able to sleep through the night.

You don't change your foley yourself? What is the level of your injury?

I am doing the SP because I am worried about my winer and it pulling on it and the discharge that comes out all the time. Also one time a EMT did not get it in all the way and filled the balloon while it was still in the ureathra and it made my body go crazy and they ended up sending me to Denver on the Flight For Life helicopter $20,000.00 later but at least this time I was awake for the flight. When I got to Denver (St. Anthony's) their was blood the nurse described it from the movie Carrie. Actually it happend on a friday night and I woke up Sunday afternoon and it was the best sleep I ever got.

Talk to you later.
    Give me your call we can talk more about it.

Stevie P

Hey StevieP, nope I don't change my Foley being a C 4/5 I've never been able to do that and a few other things that would be life changing.

Amazing what a few inches can mean in the big scheme of things of life. What level is your injury?

Hey StevieP, nope I don't change my Foley being a C 4/5 I've never been able to do that and a few other things that would be life changing.

Amazing what a few inches can mean in the big scheme of things of life. What level is your injury?
    For some reason I thought you were T4/T5.
    I am T3/T4.

Have you thought any more about the colostomy? Did you ever get any samples to try with your hand function?

I'm more than thought about the colostomy, I went ahead and had the procedure done back in September. In one sense I was forced to my I kept crapping my pants because BP had gone too S*^t ha ha

So far it was probably one of the better decisions I've made during my SCI life. I'm hoping having the SP will be as successful that's why I'm nervous. I'm starting to look a little freakish with my close off. .LOL

I have a quad friend who has always had a colostomy and SP without having any problems so I hope my situation is as successful. Actually it couldn't get any worse I'm already leaking and bleeding out the tip of my Johnson. I can't piss with just a condom on anymore without having major sweats. And my nerve pain in my hip and back the last year has had me wishing I was just dead at times.

So all in all life is a bowl of cherries I just try to spit out as many of the pits as I possibly can and keep on going. The that's why I was shi**ing my pants all the time too many cherries. . Ha ha

Hope life is doing right by you my friend, take care Chris