Thread: A World of Hurt E-Book

A World of Hurt E-Book

I thought some people here might be interested in this regardless of how you feel about pain medications.

This was just released as an original E-Single by the New York Times:

"A World of Hurt: Fixing Pain Medicine's Biggest Mistake" by Barry Meier, award wining reporter for the Times

"A World of Hurt" explores the newest and untold part of the prescription painkiller story--the growing evidence that these widely used drugs, along with causing an epidemic of abuse, are often ineffective at treating long-term pain and are taking a toll on many of the millions of patients who take them. It chronicles an unfolding medical revolution that will change the thinking of pain patients and their families. Based on stories of patients and researchers, it examines how treating pain differently can benefit both patients and the public."

$1.99
    nytstore.com/ebooks

available on
    Amazon.com (Kindle)
    Apple (iBookstore)
    Barnes & Noble (Nook)
    Vook.com
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

So I read this last night and I'll save other people the trouble by posting some quick thoughts. This book is not worth your time unless you have an extreme interest in this subject and you really don't know much of anything about the debate surrounding opiod pain medications.

I am really surprised the New York Times endorsed this E-book. I thought it was very subpar. It is only 83 pages and the font is huge. I breezed through it in about 45 minutes. I was expecting something substantive and this read like a cut and paste job from the author's articles in the Times. There was all of one story from a patient and it was not routine or helpful. There was little examination of how treating patients with different modalities could be helpful. I was really looking forward to that discussion. Plus, there were no citations of the numerous studies alluded to, even at the end of the book, which was massively sloppy. Yes, there is an overlay of the "War on Pain" movement and the problems with opiod pain medications, but it could have been written by a college student as a seminar paper.

Again, not recommended.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Thanks Nikki, thats dissapointing.

I'm betting most of us with chronic pain could write a pretty detailed book on this subject! I'm only 2 years into my journey and have just about got the pain manageable at the moment only taking opiods once or twice a week for breakthrough pain. Not much fun tho. I think being in severe pain makes you less functional than being fairly stoned lol, but can obviously see the long term probs.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!