Thread: Caregiver Quibbles

Caregiver Quibbles

Hello all, it's time to start posting again instead of just reading. I was wondering what everyone here would suggest for this problem I'm having.

About three months ago, one of my caregiver's adult son was treated for scabies. I had no clue what that was, but thought it wasn't anything to worry about. She was treated and cleared by two doctors as not having it. Unfortunately, I got a rash that, after two doctors and several weeks, was diagnosed as scabies. I did four weeks of treatments with pills and creams as well as everyone that works with me. It has now been nearly a month since everyone's last treatment and everything seems to be back to normal.

Unfortunately, one of my night assistants now refuses to talk to my day helper whose son had the outbreak. It took the nursing agency and I reprimanding the night nurse for her to even give report. I sleep at night, or at least attempt, and need to know what went on. These two used to be friends, and now that the one won't even say hi to the other, it has had an emotional impact on the day person. For the first few hours of her shift, she is visibly depressed and has to be reminded of what she needs to do next to get me up.

The treatment my night nurse received for scabies did have affect on her body that she now walks with a limp and can't stand straight, she has also had to decline other work because of it. I easily understand her frustration and see why she acts this way, but I can't have it continue to hinder my care. I've considered having her replaced, but with scarcity of nurses, my agency says it would be very difficult.

So, what are the recommendations from this group? Should I try to push the issue or leave it be and see what happens? I don't have a problem with either person's care they provide, but this needs to be resolved.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I have missed you. Have no idea how to solve this but I am surprised that scabies have any long term effects.

It must be stressing and frustrating to have this affecting your personal life.
    I'm not sure what the answer is, but understand the soap operas of having aides.

As far as long term effects.....I did not realize there were any. Many years ago my daughter got the bright idea to go to Portland with a bunch of kids and came home with scabies. I think I read everything possible back then and don't recall anything like that.
    Could she be exaggerating to bring more drama to the situation?

The trouble she has had is due to the treatment that was prescribed, not the actual mite. It would surprise me that she was faking it, but it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The trouble she has had is due to the treatment that was prescribed, not the actual mite. It would surprise me that she was faking it, but it's a possibility.
    Even with side effects to medication or treatment her symptoms sound extreme and maybe a bit convenient.
    Maybe the nurses here have an idea.
    I hope you have been well otherwise.

Scabies is usually treated with topical soaps and creams, not oral medications, and so rarely causes any lasting side effects if done properly. Has she provided you or the agency with documentation from her physician that the treatment caused her current problems?? If so, she may be eligible for worker's compensation.

Regardless, I think you need to sit them both down, insist that they work out the tension between them, and cooperate and communicate. It is detrimental to your health for them to carry on this way, so you should tell them that failure to do so will have to result in you letting one or both of them go. Stick to your guns. The agency should have an RN who will help you with this issue. The agency is responsible for the responsible behavior of their employees, and your safety while in their care.

(KLD)

Blog Entries

Oh to live in a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Scabies is usually treated with topical soaps and creams, not oral medications, and so rarely causes any lasting side effects if done properly. Has she provided you or the agency with documentation from her physician that the treatment caused her current problems?? If so, she may be eligible for worker's compensation.

Regardless, I think you need to sit them both down, insist that they work out the tension between them, and cooperate and communicate. It is detrimental to your health for them to carry on this way, so you should tell them that failure to do so will have to result in you letting one or both of them go. Stick to your guns. The agency should have an RN who will help you with this issue. The agency is responsible for the responsible behavior of their employees, and your safety while in their care.

(KLD)

A world in which caregivers, and their agencies actually give a shit enough to be responsible about their jobs. I'd like to move to that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    A world in which caregivers, and their agencies actually give a shit enough to be responsible about their jobs. I'd like to move to that world.
    I have generally had very good caregivers that do care about their work. That's not always the case, but it has been for my experience. These two are unfortunately not getting any better, so I am changing schedules so they don't meet as often.

Sorry you have to deal with that trainman. You must want to bang their heads together.

At least give the one a good shake if nothing else.