Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 113

Thread: TiLite TR3 (ResonantEcho)

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    So, there may be a rationale for the titanium camber tube, I just don't know what it is. Anyone?
    I've seen an aluminum camber tube deform because it was used it as a tie down point.

    Titanium is stronger than aluminum, but it is slightly heavier. I'm willing to bet that the "lighter than titanium" aluminum camber tube and the "stronger than titanium" reinforced/power adaptable frame version have different wall thicknesses. The standard aluminum version probably has the the same thickness as it's titanium counterpart. It that is the case, it would be lighter, but not as strong as the standard titanium camber tube. I imagine the cost of thicker walled titanium tubing is disproportionately higher than aluminum.


  2. #62
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    It may just be the effects of linear perspective, but after looking at more than one of your pics, I'm wondering if your backrest release bar is binding because the ADI back is forcing the back posts apart on the other side of the rigidizer bar. Is it a 16" wide model? I believe the part number should be CFBR16LAF.

    Good eye!

    Looking at the package it came in the model number is as you suggested. CFBR16LAF. It does look like the dealer may have installed it too tightly if that's possible. The backrest posts do look bent inward a bit, not outward. Not as bad as the photo looks, but they don't look straight. I'll put a level on it tomorrow and see what I get. Something is definitely causing a bind on the release bar for it to be so hard to move up and down.

    EDIT: Actually, looking at the backrest closely, it's not centered. When looking at it from the front the back slightly overlaps the right back post. There's a little daylight between the back and left back post. See attached high resolution photos.

    So this caused me to get the measuring tape out. I measured from the top of the left backrest mounting bracket and got 3 1/2 inches. From the top of the right I got 3 1/4 inches. Now I was curious if the seat base was installed properly. It's not centered either. More of it overlaps the right side than the left. GEEZ! Seems like someone did a slam, bang job.
    Last edited by ResonantEcho; 06-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  3. #63
    If you remove the back and the release bar suddenly works normally, you will know for certain.


  4. #64
    this just erks me, yet another ab dme screwing up a chair. this happens so much. I just speced a tr3 for a customer that was in a chair screwed up by a dme. just not right.
    i'm a firm believer in peer to peer support. I hope you put the hammer down and don't take any bs. make the dme get you what you need.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  5. #65
    Senior Member ResonantEcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cash, TX, United States
    Posts
    6,000
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    If you remove the back and the release bar suddenly works normally, you will know for certain.
    I removed the ADI backrest and it didn't help the release bar problem. Also, while the dealer didn't install it level on the chair (higher on one side) it's the ADI backrest that is the problem. Someone at ADI didn't mount the mounting bracket in the same place on each side. That's the reason the back overlaps the back post on one side and not the other.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I've seen an aluminum camber tube deform because it was used it as a tie down point.

    Titanium is stronger than aluminum, but it is slightly heavier. I'm willing to bet that the "lighter than titanium" aluminum camber tube and the "stronger than titanium" reinforced/power adaptable frame version have different wall thicknesses. The standard aluminum version probably has the the same thickness as it's titanium counterpart. It that is the case, it would be lighter, but not as strong as the standard titanium camber tube. I imagine the cost of thicker walled titanium tubing is disproportionately higher than aluminum.
    When I ordered my TR2 with power-adaptable frame back in 2006, the order form required me to buy a titanium camber bar. Now, the TR3 order form specifies (twice) that you must NOT choose a titanium camber bar with a power-adaptable frame. Something has changed.

  7. #67
    nice chair!! ive been waiting to see yours as we have pretty similar measurements/ wants needs. ill take another look later and comment.. quickly though.. maybe a roho quatro cushion would allow you to make the back quadrants of your cushion less filled with air.. make you feel like your more "in" the chair then on top of it.... thats what i do!

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    When I ordered my TR2 with power-adaptable frame back in 2006, the order form required me to buy a titanium camber bar. Now, the TR3 order form specifies (twice) that you must NOT choose a titanium camber bar with a power-adaptable frame. Something has changed.
    E-Motion wheels will put a significant amount of stress on a ultralight rigid frame because of their weight as well as the altered weight distribution of the chair. The aluminum camber tube provided with the power adaptable frame option was designed to be used with E-motion wheels is very stout. I wouldn't be surprised if it has twice the wall thickness as the standard aluminum or titanium camber tubes.


  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    E-Motion wheels will put a significant amount of stress on a ultralight rigid frame because of their weight as well as the altered weight distribution of the chair. The aluminum camber tube provided with the power adaptable frame option was designed to be used with E-motion wheels is very stout. I wouldn't be surprised if it has twice the wall thickness as the standard aluminum or titanium camber tubes.
    Interesting. I'll have to check TiLite's eStore later to see if they offer two different grades of aluminum camber tubes. If they're available in different wall thicknesses, there should be separate product listings.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Where do you mean titanium stronger than aluminum? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I've seen an aluminum camber tube deform because it was used it as a tie down point.

    Titanium is stronger than aluminum, but it is slightly heavier. I'm willing to bet that the "lighter than titanium" aluminum camber tube and the "stronger than titanium" reinforced/power adaptable frame version have different wall thicknesses. The standard aluminum version probably has the the same thickness as it's titanium counterpart. It that is the case, it would be lighter, but not as strong as the standard titanium camber tube. I imagine the cost of thicker walled titanium tubing is disproportionately higher than aluminum.

Similar Threads

  1. Happy Birthday ResonantEcho
    By anty in forum Life
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 12:08 AM
  2. ResonantEcho ...
    By marco25 in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 10:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •