Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair cushion

Wheelchair cushion

Can I talk about wheelchair cushions (again )?
    I searched this site and found some good feedback on Stimulite cushion. For the last 16 years, I have had only J2 cushions. I am sitting on a chair 15+ hours a day.
    This time, I think I can try another one if there is a better one.

For a quad who sits on a chair for 15+ hours a day, do you think this cushion is good one?
    It seems we have talked about cushion many times, but can I ask (same) question again?

Thanks!

Seems silly to change after all these years, seems the J2 agrees with you. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I use a stimulite contour about half the time. I'm going on 4 years post, C7 complete. I visit my PTs occasionally and the first time I appeared with it in a new chair they gasped in horror. They had nothing good to say about it. Different strokes for different folks.. Lots of the quads here use them exclusively for years, I got one because they breathe well and are maintenance free.

Curious why you want to change?

Cushions are quite personal in what one likes. As you found in your research there are many happy users of Stimulite cushions here, and what is not to like, it is light and basically maintenance free. I tried one but after some time became uncomfortable; I have thoughts of revisting it but have yet to do so.

I am now using a Varalite Meridian and I like the cushion as I am comfortable and it too is very light. You need to reset it weekly, but it is a pretty simple process.

While I understand Tooleys thoughts in questioning why leaving a cushion that has been working well, I used the Jay Active for many years, the Jay cushions are quite heavy.

You may want to consider working with a DME that has access to the cushions you have interest in as they may have some on hand for you to borrow and give them a try.
    Last edited by Brianm; 05-29-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Pretty sure most Stimulite will begin to form to shape of your body and how you sit. I have had a contoured Stimulite which sort of helps from sitting incorrectly and forming the shape of cushion incorrectly. Something like the Sport is flat. There is zero help from cushion helping you sit correctly. Your body must do all of that. If sit incorrectly, result is you can end up "shaping" cushion incorrectly as well. I do not know if something like this can be undone. Yes they say you can put it in your washing machine. You better have a gigantic to do so. I like Stimulite, but just passing this as information to be aware of or think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Cushions are quite personal in what one likes. As you found in your research there are many happy users of Stimulite cushions here, and what is not to like, it is light and basically maintenance free. I tried one but after some time became uncomfortable; I have thoughts of revisting it but have yet to do so.

I am now using a Varalite Meridian and I like the cushion as I am comfortable and it too is very light. You need to reset it weekly, but it is a pretty simple process.

While I understand Tooleys thoughts in questioning why leaving a cushion that has been working well, I used the Jay Active for many years, the Jay cushions are quite heavy.

You may want to consider working with a DME that has access to the cushions you have interest in as they may have some on hand for you to borrow and give them a try.
    Ditto everything Brianm says including the cushion he uses. I use the Varilite Meridian as well and like it a lot.
    Last edited by Lynne; 05-29-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: misspelling

JK,

Regarding "... Stimulite cushion. For the last 16 years, I have had only J2 cushions ..."

Since you have 16 years of experience on a fluid/gel type cushion, you will want to know that all of the present Stimulite models are substantially more firm than the J2 with which you are familiar.

Both types of cushion structures - fluid/gel and honeycomb (as with air and foam and all others) - exhibit characteristics that are sometimes preferred and characteristics that are sometimes not preferred. For example, your specific gel-to-honeycomb change would exchange (among other things) greater softness for less weight and increased breathability.

im a die hard stimulate guy. for me nothings better. that's all ive used for 15 plus years. its a love hate deal, I think. I do sell a lot of them. feel free to drop me a note to discuss further. quad to quad.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for all reply.
    Well... Why change? Frankly, I don't have a big reason, but I start to "guess", front contour line of the J2 is a little too close to my private area. My belly is getting bigger, my internal organs are falling lower including my private area. So, I guess (since I don't feel), the private area is touching hard on the contour line.
    Also, I may like to have some lighter & increased breathability if there is any. A PT showed me Jay Fusion cushion. This chair has softer base than J2, but I think this cushion is a little too high.

Since I still have workable J2 cushions, I also thought experiencing another could be an option.

WS_Sage. To increase a softness, I am considering the 'XS'. Do you think it is still harder to sit on it for 15+ hours without transferring?

fuentejsp. Thanks for feedback & offer. If I buy a cushion without insurance next time, I will remember your offer.

JK,

Regarding "... considering the 'XS'. Do you think it is still harder ..."

The XS feature is a suggested option for people who are transitioning from a fluid/gel type cushion to a honeycomb type cushion - the XS feature is well liked by other folks too.

A Stimulite cushion; even with the XS option, will be more firm than the J2 with which you are familiar. Successfully using either type of cushion for 15+ hours requires that weight-shifting movements are performed with sufficient frequency.

As was already mentioned, your chair cushion is definitely a matter of personal preference. What works and is preferred by some is completely different for others. There is no substitute for trying different types and seeing which works best for you, if that's an option.

I've been a chair user for over 23 years and have tried about every cushion out there. In my opinion, nothing beats the comfort and skin protection of a ROHO.