Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: those push girls

I like this show a lot too. I think the women are all great. I also met Auti, Chelsie and Mia at the Metro New York Abilities Expo before the show started and they were all really nice.

I agree with TinkerbellK about showing diversity of disability on TV, but I would be fine if this show continued with the original group. As an optimist, what I would like to see is a few more shows that showcase people with disabilities. IMO we shouldn't have to rely on Push Girls to do it all. Aim high

I just hope this show stays grounded in reality. As others noted, the women's lives are already more glamourous than most. A lot of times reality shows try to keep upping the ante with each episode and season and after a few seasons, the show is almost unrecognizable.

I don't know if anyone here ever watched "Little People, Big World?" It's the reality show about Matt and Amy Roloff and their four kids. They are little people and one of their kids also has a form of dwarfism. I really liked the show during the first few seasons, and then it spiraled. The Roloffs were obviously getting paid big bucks by TLC and renovated their house in massive proportions, bought new cars, and went on all sorts of fabulous vacations. It seemed like every other episode the family had to be doing something amazing like going to Hawaii and snorkeling. I'm guessing that was about the ratings and keeping people interested. I thought it was enjoyable when we saw their day-to-day routine on their farm...Maybe that's just me, lol.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    I like this show a lot too. I think the women are all great. I also met Auti, Chelsie and Mia at the Metro New York Abilities Expo before the show started and they were all really nice.

I agree with TinkerbellK about showing diversity of disability on TV, but I would be fine if this show continued with the original group. As an optimist, what I would like to see is a few more shows that showcase people with disabilities. IMO we shouldn't have to rely on Push Girls to do it all. Aim high

I just hope this show stays grounded in reality. As others noted, the women's lives are already more glamourous than most. A lot of times reality shows try to keep upping the ante with each episode and season and after a few seasons, the show is almost unrecognizable.

I don't know if anyone here ever watched "Little People, Big World?" It's the reality show about Matt and Amy Roloff and their four kids. They are little people and one of their kids also has a form of dwarfism. I really liked the show during the first few seasons, and then it spiraled. The Roloffs were obviously getting paid big bucks by TLC and renovated their house in massive proportions, bought new cars, and went on all sorts of fabulous vacations. It seemed like every other episode the family had to be doing something amazing like going to Hawaii and snorkeling. I'm guessing that was about the ratings and keeping people interested. I thought it was enjoyable when we saw their day-to-day routine on their farm...Maybe that's just me, lol.
    I never heard of the push girls until this thread. And Friday I recorded two episodes and watched them on Saturday. I thought the show was good. But I think it could be much better if they would have the girls do more exciting events like skydive, water rafting, marathons. Stuff you don't think we could do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    And Friday I recorded two episodes and watched them on Saturday. .
    It's in re-runs? What network, I'd be curious to see this

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It's in re-runs? What network, I'd be curious to see this
    Sundance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Sundance.
    Thanks. On the dvr

Interesting show. Anyone have that cringe moment with the Doc basically saying "a good attitude will fix your bones that don't take x-ray photos well"? WTF...and the guy works in a place where SCI is real common no less

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Interesting show. Anyone have that cringe moment with the Doc basically saying "a good attitude will fix your bones that don't take x-ray photos well"? WTF...and the guy works in a place where SCI is real common no less
    Yeah, when the doctor told Chelsie to keep a good attitude and things would work out with her osteopenia/osteoporosis, I was not pleased. I hate seeing medical professionals fall into this trap because they set patients up for failure and unlike relatives or friends they should know better than to promote optimism as a cure for a medical issue.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    I liked the show and watched a lot, of what I'm guessing was the first few seasons. I don't remember any of what you describe so I'm thinking I didn't watch any longer (no more cable) at that point. Only thing I remember is their kitchen renovation.

I thought the Dr's talk with Chelsea was ridiculous! I was shocked he didn't talk to her about actual options for her osteoporosis. Especially if its actually osteoporosis already, and not just osteopenia. I don't know about options specific to SCI, but when it occurs in other disorders treatment would be started, possibly medications that increase bone density over time.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

The problem with the show is their lives are as boring as the rest of ours. They need to give them activities to do. If I was the producer of the show it would be a big hit. I would have these girls skydiving, water rafting and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.

Rainman, my life is pretty damn boring. I mean it is REALLY boring, so the Push Girl's lives look pretty interesting to me. Did you watch the first season or have you just come on with the second season? I thought they have done some active stuff thus far: adaptive skiing, a five k, wheelchair ballroom dancing competition...it's not the most routine.

I would be interested to see them do some of the things you mentioned--not sure about skydiving, lol. If you saw the preview for coming episodes, it does look like they will be doing more active outdoor adventures. I saw something involving boating and it looked kind of extreme but it was a pretty quick preview. Again, no problem with them doing a bunch of high octane activities, it's just that I hope their regular lives do not get overshadowed by that kind of stuff. As I mentioned, there are other reality shows where every episode ups the ante and you forget what the original point of the series actually was in the rush to create a spectacle for ratings.

Lin, yeah a lot of stuff happened after their kitchen renovation (which I am glad they were able to do). I think a lot of stuff from Push Girls ends up in editing on the cutting room floor, but it seemed pretty clear from the doctor's glib response that he never discussed any treatment options with her. I also expected more.