Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to move....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wanting to move....

I really want to move to California. I'm so much happier there and have amazing friends there. And i would have many more opportunities career wise. But I don't even know where to start. I don't know how I would transfer things like social security, insurance, etc. I don't know what types of programs they have there as far as things like low income housing. Any advice would be great....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    I really want to move to California. I'm so much happier there and have amazing friends there. And i would have many more opportunities career wise. But I don't even know where to start. I don't know how I would transfer things like social security, insurance, etc. I don't know what types of programs they have there as far as things like low income housing. Any advice would be great....thanks.
    You're young (I think). Make a good plan and give it a shot. Having a network there would be a huge plus.

Your photos were mostly in San Diego. The last I checked, the waiting list for Section 8 housing was close to 5 years. I would not depend upon that for housing. Probably easier to try to find a modest priced apt. and share with roommates. Not much in the way of already adapted housing though, so you may have to look a while.

Social Security and Medicare and not a big deal when moving from state to state, since they are purely federal programs. Medicaid and waiver attendant services are something else. In CA, Medicaid is called Medi-Cal, and the attendant care program is called IHSS (In Home Supportive Services). Both have taken major recent hits in funding, so getting these, and getting what you need through them can be a major challenge. Remember that you must establish residency (in CA it is 30 days) before you can apply for both of these programs as well.

Do you already have a job? While the recession is on the wane, we still have a lot of unemployment in Southern CA, and the sequester has put a lot of people in the market for a second job, so there is a lot of competition.

You can find out more about CA benefits here, and and I would also strongly recommend talking to someone at the ILC closest to where you plan to live about benefits, housing, etc. PRIOR to making the move.

(KLD)

Do what SCI-Nurse says and move asap. So Cal rocks. I wish I had moved when I was young. I'm locked in here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Do what SCI-Nurse says and move asap. So Cal rocks. I wish I had moved when I was young. I'm locked in here.
    Bah, So Cal is a pit, SF/Bay Area is where all the cool kids are.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Bah, So Cal is a pit, SF/Bay Area is where all the cool kids are.
    Yeah, but who can afford to live in the SF/Bay Area? NY/Metro is where the real culture is . Anyway, I am far from cool...

Cheers!

The question is not if but when. Thanks for the advice. I was in SD but I would more than likely be moving to Los Angeles since that is where me and my friends schools are.

Quote Originally Posted by SequinScandal View Post
    The question is not if but when. Thanks for the advice. I was in SD but I would more than likely be moving to Los Angeles since that is where me and my friends schools are.
    Your schools? If you are already a student then you should be able to get the 30 day residency requirement waived, except maybe school fees for a semester, and get on any low cost housing and MediCal lists now. Definitely call the nearest ILC and find out how to arrive and get housed and cared for if needed. Both states are about equally bankrupt at the moment so state benefits will be about as tight as I've heard from friends who are Flatlanders...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I was in SF area for one year. Too expensive. Also, quite cold for me. Southern CA would be better I think.

Pismo Beach and all points south from that fine town works for me.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!