Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: photo of me standing, what would you work on?

when you are laying on your bed, laying on your back, bend your legs and feet planted flat on the bed, lift your butt off the bed. That is a nice little workout on your butt and hamstrings..

Whatever you do, try not make giant progress. Be extremely careful in how much and length of time you start using upper body "in place of" what you lower body should be doing. It is extremely easy to get "addicted" to something like this and really not be aware of it. The longer you end up using upper body in place of lower, the harder it is to reverse I did that for YEARS. Ended up working a top down approach piece-by-piece that does seem to be putting things back together.

hi guys, a lot of wisdom to go through and I thank you, I am so thankful for this forum. I am working on pushing to at least reach my potential, it's a difficult thing when you have limited help i'm sure some of you know. I am a c2 incomplete reliant on a power chair. I've made some gains from being completely paralyzed. Started driving 3 years ago, love it. I know for sure that it will not be easy but I haven't even come near the potential that I have. In this photo I needed help standing from my chair, standing there I was kind of between a little comfortable and a little scary. But just the fact that I can do that is why I need to push for more. I remember when I first got that bar and my wife helping me do squats a few days a week, I got to where she barely held my arm for me to stand. And then life brings responsibilities that pulls me away from practicing and I lose what I gain. But I know it's there. Being able to stand on my own will be great and worth every minute of trying, and if that's all I can do I would have no problem with that. But there is my problem, I know I can do more, be better, reach higher, not be disappointed because my potential went to waste. So I'm aiming to ask / figure out what the fundamental building blocks of my abilities are and push hard to break through and change the way my injury has dictated my life. I hope to be getting a up n free gait trainer soon that will allow me to be in my chair less and on my feet more. I know that is not the all in all answer but I think it's an important piece of the puzzle for me. I have a friend that honestly believes in my potential and is planning to help me pursue. I appreciate you guys willing to share your knowledge and ideas. The most discouraging factor is that it's not 2 or 3 exercises that I need to focus on, but there are many things that add up in time. I work four days a week 8 hours each but I look at the other 3 as max potential and figure out what I can add into my work days as well. But I think I need to get a notebook and put a solid plan on paper and adapt it when needed. Sorry for going deep guys but I know I can really do this and I know you can too.

Quote Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
    But I think I need to get a notebook and put a solid plan on paper and adapt it when needed.
    Exactly!

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Try to work out, while you work, do things that are-were not possible a few weeks ago and expand on them. The best excersise is motivated by just doing what was natural.I have no feeling below the neck, my balance is in the eyes, not the feet. Friends now play with me, I've got a sick sense of humor, and will throw things in the air and wave grids, like plaid shirts on me to watch me fall. Honestly I get a kick out of it, because they know what I am doing is defying the realm of possible and I'll get a good laugh out of falling and cursing at them.

Everything you want to do, should become your workout. Take every opportunity and build on it.

Thank you guys. Roc21 I'm interested in seeing pictures of how you made your standing frame and all the benefits of using it and the difference you have seen, thank you.

Thank you guys. Roc21 I'm interested in seeing pictures of how you made your standing frame and all the benefits of using it and the difference you have seen, thank you.
    heres a few pics, any specific questions please ask..in last picture you will see i had to build it out further by adding a few more 2x4 on each end because i was too close to wall when standing
    Last edited by roc21; 06-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Roc21 that looks great, if it's a safe environment for squats and other exercises I can see great benefits. When you leave the standing frame what benefits do you carry with you that you didn't have before you started using it?

Roc21 that looks great, if it's a safe environment for squats and other exercises I can see great benefits. When you leave the standing frame what benefits do you carry with you that you didn't have before you started using it?
    Its a great set up to use without having to transfer onto a stander. So for someone who couldnt transfer by themselves, this is easy, pull your chair up and stand. Cost wise, it was about $40 to make. benefiets of standing are stronger legs, good posture,good blood flow, supposedly helps with digestion/bowel, muscles tone in legs, and especially in glutes from squats. Can work on balance , core.. Many benefiets to standing regularly compared to not.

Not sure what you mean by a "safe environment " for squats..?