Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of wheelchair technology is here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    The seven-member team of final year mechanical engineering students at the Saintgits College of Engineering that has designed the product as part of their project work claims it has far greater advantages than the regular wheelchairs.

Is this a joke?? you need a engineering team for do a hole in a seat and put wheels on it, well, actually has the advantage that you can shit while you ride through the park , Wow, where i could buy one?
    I think the joke's on us.

I have a heart. I like that my 6 year old gets a trophy at the end of soccer season, no matter what. But these jokers are grown men.

I mean, they'll still get into Heaven, sure, but not on account of their brilliant ideas.

This is a huge fail.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Just goes to show that be it Engineers, Dr.s, lawyers(liars) etc. For every good one there are about 9 crap ones!

Have to agree with Nikki here ... and I'd love to hear of your experiences in Africa. We never get news on how our peers survive there with paralysis.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post

I can understand how this wheelchair represents a major innovation in India. We might laugh at this technology here, forgetting that we have access to so much. Maybe it is time to stop laughing and remember that we are actually quite lucky in many ways.
    Exactly, many of us are very fortunate we have access to great chairs. I can't even imagine what it would be like in a place like India for a chair user.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Some of you guys are so smug, but apparently you didn't even read the whole thing...

The multi-purpose wheelchair also serves the user in ensuring greater hygiene. The toilet aid, which is a highlight of the students’ creation, is met by sliding the seat over a closet over a pair of rails. The seat has a centrally-attached circular flap which moves down as the seat slides through the rails.
    This means, the seat slides on rails away from the wheelchair, presumably over a toilet or hole, and the hole in the center of the seat moves out of the way as it slides. The user doesn't just sit there and take a dump in their own chair.

Granted, this looks like it may be a clumsy, cumbersome design, but I think Nikki's correct; there's some egocentric/ethnocentric arrogance behind some of your dismissive responses. It's not as ridiculous as some of you would like to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    The toilet aid, which is a highlight of the students’ creation, is met by sliding the seat over a closet over a pair of rails.
    By the way, in this sentence, closet = squatting toilet (on floor) like this (Google 'Indian water closet')...

Its kind of a funky chair, but the idea isn't terrible. I did know though that there are few sit type toilets in India. I know people who have gone as tourists, and they take pictures of them.

I knew people in the eighties in I Iowa with no inside toilets. All of the reservations in the San Diego area were without inside toilets until into the nineties.

I think that kind of chair would actually be good for some people in some situations.

like traveling. no need for a separate bath and bp chair. ew though, but hey, could be useful.

Some of you guys are so smug, but apparently you didn't even read the whole thing...

I started this post after I discovered the article while I was doing a broad Google search for "future of wheelchair technology." It wasn't my intention to be offensive, but rather to share something that really caught my attention. Admittedly, I made a couple of sarcastic remarks, not intentionally through some kind of egocentric or ethnocentric prejudice, but rather from an engineering point of view.

I don't usually post on here, but I enjoy many members' sense of humor, and it was my intention to appeal to those who enjoy a little sarcasm once in a while. I had no idea this thread would turn into a very serious conversation and perhaps become a cultural or humanitarian debate.

When I think about innovative wheelchair designs, I am usually more concerned with lightweight materials, good ergonomics, and maneuverability. And I just happen to live in a part of the world where my wheelchair and my toilet are two entirely separate places to sit, so my first reaction to the article was viewed through that lens.

Thank you all for enlightening me on the current state of conditions for people with disabilities around the world; I certainly take things around here for granted.

Nevertheless, I see the "future of wheelchair technology" as something dramatically different than what the team of engineers in the article conceived of.

Next time I post, I will stick to more purely technical matter, as I'd love to be a useful contributing member of this online community without unintentionally evoking negativity.

Charlie

This means, the seat slides on rails away from the wheelchair, presumably over a toilet or hole, and the hole in the center of the seat moves out of the way as it slides. The user doesn't just sit there and take a dump in their own chair.

Granted, this looks like it may be a clumsy, cumbersome design, but I think Nikki's correct; there's some egocentric/ethnocentric arrogance behind some of your dismissive responses. It's not as ridiculous as some of you would like to think.
    Yes, probably here are guys so smug ,egocentric, arrogance,etc.
    with a different sense of humor than you, sure i`m one of them.

But i bet here is an arrogance guy that contribute every month more than you to help the third world, i don`t need that people like you and others come here to tell how lucky are whose lives in developed countries becuase i know it.

I was just laughing about the thread, because says the: future wheelchair technology is here.