Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about Icon wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    yup. don't sweat it though.

the standard wing (top) gives more room for legs than the narrow/pediatric version (bottom) due to taper.
    Agree with Scott - don't sweat it - even paediatric users can use the standard (larger) wing with no problems (my son, 9 years old, uses it). So I would imagine there is little call for the narrower (rev 1 I believe) version.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thanks Scott & Gordy1.
    I measured the width today and it was about 1.5 ~2" narrower than my current one. But, I think it should be ok based on your feedback. The foot rest on my previous chair was a little narrower than my current one, but the side frame by my leg was (too) narrow too.
    Since the Icon doesn't have side frame under the seat pan, I guess it would be ok.

Finally, I finished dealing with a PT & a dealer. It seems like a dealer doesn't have a strong opinion about chair & cushion. PT has some stronger opinion, but for me, it seems she is saying she cannot recommend Icon & Stimulite cushion enough because she doesn't know much about them.
    Frankly, I don't know why I had to spend 3~4 hours at the hospital, which I need to pay, to get a letter from a PT. It was hard not to hurt her feeling and get what I want/need. ( I don't know why she much prefer deeper coutour line wheelchair back, which I don't prefer)

Anyway, we concluded to order Icon wheelchair & Stilmulite Contour XS cushion. A dealer will contact an insurance company & Icon wheelchair to get coverage & more information. So, real business will start now.
    I never spent this long time before any wheelchair order, but this time, 1.5 hr + 2 hr. Huooo~~ Long process with a PT.

Anyway, the PT measure a weight of my ZRA and demo Icon. Mine with everything such as a J2 back, 25" wheels was 38lb and the Icon with a stimulite cushion, default laminate seat, invacare back, 24" wheels was 34 lb. She thought the difference might come from the cushion weight, but at least Icon was not heavier than what they thought. (Now, I remember that the Icon didn't have anti-tip bar & push handle)
    Last edited by JK; 06-03-2013 at 09:17 PM.

JK - sorry I haven't replied yet - I took a few days off last week to take advantage of the Memorial day weekend, and am still digging myself out - that'll teach me.

I'm honestly puzzled by the "fight" that is put up over the weight of the Icon - it's lighter than almost every other chair on the market, but there is a very odd refusal to believe it. Maybe it's because we don't exaggerate the weight in our marketing materials, or because we don't have "Lite" as part of our name.

I'm glad that you took the time to weigh the chairs to get a real world comparison, and that it proved out what I've been saying about the weight of the A1 compared to other ultralight chairs on the market (whew!).

When you're adjusting the suspension, remember that the psi is important, but that the rate of compression and rebound has almost as much to do with the feel of the suspension. The center of gravity has a lot to do with where you set the psi (the more rearward the cog, the more air pressure you need), but Scott is exactly right - start with your body weight, and use the shock pump to bleed out 10psi at a time until the suspension engages. At that point, dial the rebound all the way to one end, test it, and dial it all the way to the other end and see how different it feels. Most people end up with it somewhere in the middle, but it's good to experiment to see what feels best - to run the shock from one end to the other takes under 5 minutes, and is well worth the time.

I think your dealer tried to call today on our toll free number (a Utah exchange showed up, but there was no message). If I don't speak to them in the next day or so, I'll let you know, and maybe you can put me in touch (or PM me at jeff@iconwheelchairs.com with their contact info and I'll give them a call).

Thanks for your interest in Icon, and for holding your ground on what you want.

Icon fits.

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for the reply here & my email a few days ago.
    Yes, we called and I think the dealer will call you again.
    The dealer is not one of Icon dealers listed on the Icon wheelchairs website. Hope it doesn't cause much delay/trouble.

I will let the dealer know you will be waiting or his contact.

My question at this point is how long it may take from order to ship.
    Also, the demo chair had a pull-to-lock break and I didn't like it. On the order form, it shows 'push'-to lock breaks. Hope, what I will get is 'push'-to-lock.

Thanks!

The time from order to shipment will depend on what aftermarket parts you get - things like D's locks, ADI special order items or similar can trigger delays. The brakes can be configured as either push to lock or pull to lock, so we can provide either depending on what you prefer.

With no parts slowdown we can deliver in 2 weeks usually, depending on how busy we are, but we've waited up to 6 weeks for 3rd party items that we needed to fulfill the order.

If we have to, we can turn a chair around in under 24 hours (we just did that for a guy who got his chair crushed by an airline and was stuck in a place where he couldn't get a rental that would work for him). We bumped him to the front of the assembly line, and went in after hours to put it together.

From the time we got his call to the time he got the chair was 18 hours, so he ordered room service for a couple of meals, and was back at it the next day.

And it fit.

I would not suggest adi brakes if you have to have a low chair height. You will not be able to use the supention. Defeats the purpose of getting a chair with supention.

Jeff,
    2~3 weeks should be enough, but I will contact you when I need it really sooner if you don't mind. We are going to order a CF seat & RockShox Ario RL, Frog leg caster with Ultra support, push handles, anti-tips, folding back option and "push"-to lock break.

randomryan007,
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I am not ordering ADI breaks.

Initially, I ordered 10 lb higher pressure than my weight and I am not sure how the suspension affects my balance issue. So, I may use a little higher pressure until I get used to the suspension.
    Last edited by JK; 06-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Issue with the current wheelchair and why Icon wheelchair

I just sent the following email to a PT & a dealer. Hope they read it.
    I hope this email will show people why I want to have a fully adjustable wheelchair. I removed their names here.

================================================== ================

Hi (PT) & (Dealer),
    First of all, I appreciate your time and effort on my new wheelchair during the last two sessions.
    When (PT) asked me about the issue with my current wheelchair, I didn't say everything (because I was so used to the (incorrect) current wheelchair for the last 5+ years)

Now, I want to point out a few major issues of the current wheelchair, and want to emphasize why I need fully adjustable wheelchair such as the Icon .

(PT), it will be appreciated if you describe these issues when you write a letter to the insurance company.

1. As you realized, total length of the chair is short and what is why I put an extended plastic plate on top of the foot-rest.

2. As shown on the 'back_seat.jpg' image attached, I cannot lower the back side of the seat. As a result, I raised height of the front part of the wheelchair to achieve certain angle, which provides me a stability. (please see front_wheel.jpg image attached)

(Dealer) said my chair is fairly high and has excessive space at the bottom of the foot-rest. Yes, (Dealer) was exactly correct, but the issue was caused by (2) described above.
    (PT) said I could use a 5" front caster to have deeper seat angle, but a 5" caster does not only look too bulky, but also increase the height of the wheelchair front, which make me difficult to use regular & common desks outside.

As (PT) pointed out, I could have sit more straight and have a better posture. Nevertheless, my current wheelchair cannot provide me enough seat angle, which may help the better seating posture.

My wheelchair is a Ti ZRa model, which is supposed to be 'adjustable', but we really cannot adjust anything as I described above. As I expressed yesterday, I cannot even have a thicker cushion because we cannot lower the seat.

There are a few of many reasons why I need a fully adjustable wheelchair such as the Icon.

I appreciate your time.

================================================== ================

I am also on the prowl for a new wheelchair, and am currently (re)considering the icon. Can someone tell me about the on-the-fly adjustment? Specifically chair length - assuming I get the QR clamp, can I make quickie (okay, perhaps not the most appropriate term) adjustments while in the chair, maybe to manoeuvre in tight spaces or get closer to table tops/transfers?