Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about Icon wheelchair

Question about Icon wheelchair

Hi,
    I am going to meet a PT and a wheelchair dealer on Tuesday. My current chair is a Ti ZRa, but I am interested in Icon chair. Adjustability seems very attractive. My curious part is for a break. Where is the break attached?
    As a C-6 complete, I put my hands on breaks when I lean forward. (so scissor breaks are not an option for me) Because of a balance problem due to a longer upper body, I am not able to lean forward too far.

Does and quad use an Icon wheelchair? Where do you hold when you lean forward? Any balancing issue with the shock suspension? Also, how long does it take until the chair arrives after the order is placed?
    Last edited by JK; 05-25-2013 at 09:32 PM.

While I was looking at the Icon website & youtube, I got two more question:
    1. height of back post: Base on juggular's post on http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=171111 , it seems we can extend the post. Is the back extender a special order?

2. wheelie bar: Can we install wheelie bars to the chair?

I was waiting to see if one of the quads would chime in. I don't want you to feel like your questions are being ignored, but please keep in mind that I have my perspective skewed by good hand and upper body function.

I have D's locks. One lever controlling two hub brakes. Because of the flexibility of the brake cables (like a bike's) I have a lot of options on placement of the lever. I chose to mount mine on the back post.

I know others have put their brake levers under the seat, but that would be bending too far forward for you. There is room to mount a lever on the outside of the side guard if you are using 0˚ camber.

As to the backrest question, I did something that didn't require extender tubes. I have an ADI back. They have a slot for adjusting them up or down. I needed the seat further up than the slot would allow, so I measured carefully and drilled a hole in the back below the slot where the lower of the tightening bolts fits through. I doesn't seem to have effected the strength or stiffness of the back at all.

Wheelie bars - do you mean Anti-tip bars? They are available as an option on the order form. There is a clearance problem with the older axle clamps for them, but Icon is already working on a fix that they have said they will ship out free to those who need them.

How long it takes you to get your chair after your DME submits the order depends on how many custom options you want that are not manufactured by Icon. The ADI back and the D's locks both extended my wait because they had to be ordered by Icon after they got my order. Icon is still growing, small companies can't afford to tie up capital keeping every possible special order item on the shelf.

Hope this helps. It's a great chair.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

IsMaisin,
    Thank you for your reply with very helpful input.
    Yes, I meant "anti-tip bars" and I feel I need them. For a back, I may order J2 back. Based on Youtube, ADI back seems similar to J3 back and I hate J3 because it is so hard to adjust things very slightly. On J2, back angle can be easily adjusted using a screw driver. With the Icon, back angle with the back itself may be less critical, but I may still order a J2.

For the brake, my concern is not only how to operate breaks, but also how I can lean forward. The break itself gives me a place where I can put my hands and support my body when I lean forward. I am still not sure if there is any place I can put my hands when I lean forward.

Thanks IsMaisin.

I believe the Icon offers transfer handles.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

You can adjust the back angle on an Icon with no tools at all. There is an adjustment piece that goes from the seat pan to the bottom of the U shaped back posts. I can adjust mine by just reaching around and twisting it with my fingers - very helpful for relieving stress. With your limited hand strength, you would benefit from putting some sort of larger loop or handle on the knob.

The front wing does give you some support leaning forward - and is even padded for a good grip, but it is a lot lower than the seat. I tend to use the wheels (after locking them) as a hand hold to help me move in or out of the chair.

Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

~Lin, thanks. any detail information?

yes, the front wing seems too low for me. I agree. By adjusting Icon back, I may not need small change of J2/ADI back itself. Using wheels..... could be an option, but may be not safe enough....

I just looked at the Icon facebook and found this picture.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...95552848_n.jpg

This one shows a push-to-lock break somewhat similar to mine. Does anybody know about it? Thanks!

I don't have an Icon so I can only say from what I've read and seen here on the forum, but many people who were concerned about transfers without the front frame were told about optional transfer handles. They stick out about where the front frame and bend would be on a regular wheelchair. So maybe thats an option for you.

This came up when I googled for a photo: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0939930&type=1
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.