Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Question about Icon wheelchair

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    I am also on the prowl for a new wheelchair, and am currently (re)considering the icon. Can someone tell me about the on-the-fly adjustment? Specifically chair length - assuming I get the QR clamp, can I make quickie (okay, perhaps not the most appropriate term) adjustments while in the chair, maybe to manoeuvre in tight spaces or get closer to table tops/transfers?
    You would have a hard time safely making that adjustment whilst in the chair.

  2. #32
    Senior Member IsMaisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside Fort Bragg, NC USA
    Posts
    546
    The only adjustment I can make sitting in the chair with no tools is the back angle. That is very useful when I need some back relief. Everything else I need to get out first.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    The only adjustment I can make sitting in the chair with no tools is the back angle. That is very useful when I need some back relief. Everything else I need to get out first.
    No exactly what she was asking. Stock you need an allen wrench to change the length of the front fork. She was asking if you replaced those fittings with some sort of quick release mechanism could you change the front length. Sitting in the chair there would be too much weight on the front assembly to adjust it (I suppose if you were some sort of three armed wheelie god you could do it) but regardless of the clamping system you would need to be out of the chair to change it. That being said, if you are out of the chair it is a trivial adjustment.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    No exactly what she was asking. Stock you need an allen wrench to change the length of the front fork. She was asking if you replaced those fittings with some sort of quick release mechanism could you change the front length. Sitting in the chair there would be too much weight on the front assembly to adjust it (I suppose if you were some sort of three armed wheelie god you could do it) but regardless of the clamping system you would need to be out of the chair to change it. That being said, if you are out of the chair it is a trivial adjustment.
    Ok, useful... Is that more likely to be the adjustment that makes it shorter or longer? I think I read somewhere that sci-otr came up with some modification to make it shorter by pushing into a wall. Not being a three armed wheelie god(dess) I wonder if it might be possible to flip back on my anti-tippers and get someone else to do it for me.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    Ok, useful... Is that more likely to be the adjustment that makes it shorter or longer? I think I read somewhere that sci-otr came up with some modification to make it shorter by pushing into a wall. Not being a three armed wheelie god(dess) I wonder if it might be possible to flip back on my anti-tippers and get someone else to do it for me.
    You could easily make it shorter by pushing it against a wall, I hadn't thought of that. Having someone tug on it to make it longer while you rested on your anti-tippers, well I guess it would be possible but would have some fairly painful failure modes. What is your normal front angle? If it is 85 or 90 degrees I just don't see this kind of adjustment doing much for you.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    185
    This Youtube video shows the adjustment of the Icon fairly well although I think they skipped a few steps on the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmy6qxadvLw

  7. #37
    Tom, Has the Icon become your primary chair?
    Last edited by stephen212; 06-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Tom, Has the Icon become you're primary chair?
    I bought it to be my backup chair in SF, but so far when I am in SF I use the Icon exclusively. Having the shock is just so nice going down steep curb cuts, plus I have the Icon set lower than my Zra for more of an urban setting. That is quite a testament to the Icon, I didn't buy it because I didn't like my Zra (I love my Zra) but when I have the two sitting next to each other I jump in the Icon.

    I am heading back to MN in a couple weeks and haven't decided if I will take back the Icon or my Zra. I use my freewheel a lot in MN so probably won't.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    Ok, useful... Is that more likely to be the adjustment that makes it shorter or longer? I think I read somewhere that sci-otr came up with some modification to make it shorter by pushing into a wall. Not being a three armed wheelie god(dess) I wonder if it might be possible to flip back on my anti-tippers and get someone else to do it for me.
    Because there is a significant risk that the front end could come all the way out, I do not recommend trying it. It is actually easier to extend the frame while sitting in the chair when the feet are on the footrest. To get adequate leverage you need to be able to reach far enough under the seat to grab onto the tubes where they insert into the base frame.

    Because it does extend so easily when feet are on the footplates, it is a good idea to ensure the clamp has been tightened following every adjustment. I got lazy once and didn't tighten it down after making an adjustment. After getting back in it, I pushed up on the wheels to reposition myself all the way back in the seat. As I pushed up, the entire front wing popped out. Fortunately, what followed happened much more gradually than I expected and I landed softly.

    Still, there is a lesson to be learned--Always keep the front end clamps secured.


  10. #40
    Ok, that all sounds reasonable. Something I really need to be able to do is extend the front for a comfortable day out, but then be able to push it back in (temporarily) for access or transfers

Similar Threads

  1. Icon Wheelchair
    By Blinky1675 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  2. Icon wheelchair & EMotions M15/Xtenders
    By yojama95 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 06:51 AM
  3. Icon Wheelchair and Insurance?
    By funklab in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
  4. ICON Wheelchair discussion.
    By PeteShick in forum Equipment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM
  5. Icon wheelchair adjustment video
    By grommet in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •