Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Black Wheelchair

Carbon Black Wheelchair

Just sharing this with all the members here. There is this new carbon fibre wheelchair maker from UK and this company is designing and making wheelchairs that is fully carbon fibre. It looks pretty tricked out and with LED lights too for a night out in town.

The wheelchairs are not yet in production stage yet, still going through pre-production testing. The designer is a wheelchair user himself named Andrew Slorance. Thought I'd share...enjoy!

Here is his website:
    http://www.iimaginedesign.com/

Perhaps a better place to check it out is on facebook, so you will have to log in using your own user ID and password for facebook and follow his post.r

There is a thread on Apparelyzed about the chair.

There was also a BBC documentary made, but you can only view the clips in the UK My Perfect Wheelchair. Here is a clip about the documentary Designer's 'perfect' wheelchair to go into production.

And here are YouTube video's Carbon Black Wheelchair Demo
    and Carbon Black Wheelchair display.

It has some similar design characteristics as the Icon.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

$10,000 - $12,000. Ouch. Too rich for my blood. Cool looking chair though and I wish Andrew the best.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

I read on the Apparelyzed thread something about 28" rear wheels?? I suppose we'll have to leave them to Dutch giants then Still, hope it's working out, innovation in the industry is always important.

Carbon fiber chairs don't have to look ridiculous, and they don't have to cost anywhere close to $10000.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-03-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Carbon fiber chairs don't have to look ridiculous, and they don't have to cost anywhere close to $10000.
    I like that approach, quite a lot!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn.babe View Post
    Just sharing this with all the members here. There is this new carbon fibre wheelchair maker from UK and this company is designing and making wheelchairs that is fully carbon fibre. It looks pretty tricked out and with LED lights too for a night out in town.

The wheelchairs are not yet in production stage yet, still going through pre-production testing. The designer is a wheelchair user himself named Andrew Slorance. Thought I'd share...enjoy!

Here is his website:
    http://www.iimaginedesign.com/

Perhaps a better place to check it out is on facebook, so you will have to log in using your own user ID and password for facebook and follow his post.r
    I've seen it before though this is a new design. It is a great looking chair, really gorgeous and I bet it's light and very energy efficient. I also think it may be a rough ride but my biggest concern is that carbon fiber can't take an impact and the chair will damage easily. I bump into things. Putting the chair in the car the frame makes contact will all sorts of stuff. The titanium brushes it off and I have ABS plastic I've armoured the chair with in the places where I rest the chair while taking the wheels off. If I had a million buck I might buy this gorgeous chair for a night on the town but I worry it can't handle the everyday. I'd like to hear different. Man I can just picture the scratches and cracks and who knows, even mushy spots from a good bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Who makes that chair?

I saw a chair somewhere on the net a few weeks back. The seat probably sat 4-6' FEET from the gound. It was on tank treads and probably could climb a mountain. I cannot find where it is. I think that was close to $20k. This thing was enormous. It looked like you could go to war on it.