Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Times article about health care discrimination against disabled

NY Times article about health care discrimination against disabled

Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Yup, sad but true.

I have advocated for accessible facilities with my doctors for over 40 years. Some, but not all, now have accessible exam rooms and facilities. Still, after years of making requests, my medical group's web site has no Accessibility Guide or statement.

Oh, and I'm 6'2" (1.88 meters) and 180 pounds (81.6 kilograms) so frequently the newer office staff asks me if I need any help (doh!).

Oh, and give or send your doctor a copy of this publication.

Americans with Disabilities Act
    Access To Medical Care For
    Individuals With Mobility Disabilities

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/civilrights/u...tsgudiance.pdf

My primary care doc moved to a new place a couple of months ago and had it renovated to my specs. I guess he wanted to get me off his back. lol Nice roomy exam rooms, adjustable height exam table, platform scale for wheelchairs, accessible bathrooms, etc. However, my dentist's office has been nicely accessible and accommodating for at least 20 years. I have even pleaded to the area medical association but all I seemed to get was "we need to do more." I just do not know what their problem is, especially those with mostly geriatric practices.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Dave was just in the hospital last week for cellulites on his upper thigh. He goes back to the doctor Friday and am not sure how they will look at it unless I lay his chair all the way back and hold his pants down-which really isn't going to work.
    He has a good PCP, but he takes my word that skin is good since there is no way to get him out of his chair.
    Now that he can be seen at the VA we can go there for skin checks.
    They are building a new satellite clinic. I wonder if there will be a ceiling lift room in it?
    They finally have a ceiling lift in one of the new ER rooms. I called ahead and asked it be available when I took him in.

Chad's doctor has never seen his pressure sore except once when she - get this - came to our house. She did not bill for this, she was a real gem. Was because she quit the practice
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

3 years ago when Dave had a rash and spot on his bottom cheeks that I can only compare to swiss cheese I had no idea what to do.
    By word of mouth during different doc visits I heard the name of a local male rehab nurse that was a good person to know.
    He had us come up to the local rehab (nothing like serious SCI rehab) and was able to get Dave on one of the hospital room beds. A friend of his that was a PA came over and it was like visiting new friends.
    She had good advice and we were never charged.

My doc is awesome. He is a small town doctor and his bathroom was not wc accessible. I had several UTI's but couldn't get in his bathroom for a sample. He said it motivated him to build the new facility. I've been seeing him for about 10 years and know him very well. He calls the last exam room on the left my room and had a low window put in it so I can see out. It's a really nice office now with a low table and 3 wc accessible bathrooms throughout the building. Glad he appreciates my loyalty to him. He has been great to me.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

"One out of five offices refused to even book an appointment." I'm surprised this wasn't a higher number. Or maybe it would have been if the "patient" had a rare condition. The plus side of being turned down by so many Drs though is not wasting the time to find out they're idiots or assholes.

I haven't run into an accessibility issues yet, but most of my Drs are at major hospitals. I'm luckily to have that available, and as a result won't be able to live somewhere that its not. My stepmother thought I should move closer to her and my dad, it would make things so much easier she said. Easier for who? Are you volunteering to drive me to all of my appointments in Indy?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

The family doctor my child has been using was set up ok when she first started going to him. After a few years they remodeled 2 exam rooms and 2 of the bathrooms.

In 2010 they remodeled the entire building. I know they have 4 huge exam rooms with electric exam tables, 36” doors, wheel chair scale, there is 2 hoyer lifts in a cubby hole in the hall way, and a large ex-ray room at the end of the hall.

One of the times she needed an ex-ray the one was not working and had to go to the other end of the building. It looks like the rest of the building was set up about normal. The ex-ray room we used was tight and ended up leaving her chair in the hall and caring her to the ex-ray table.

The worst “newer” building I have been in was built in 2009. The orthopedic floor is just messed up. When you get off the elevator you have to make a 90* turn where 2 people walking side by side end up bumping. I watched one lady try to get through with her husband in a wheel chair that had one leg sticking out. For her to get through she had to go back to the elevator turn around and go though the turn back words.